Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Counting the Omer: Tuesday Night, 31 May 2016/24 Iyar 5776

Today is Day Four of Week Six of the Omer.  That is Thirty-eight Days of the Omer.  The Theme continues to be Happiness.

I’ve been addressing the issue of religion, and how it can impact positively on one’s Happiness and even longevity.  Today, I’m going to address the connection between religion and mental health.  I do so with some trepidation; I freely admit that, whilst I do have some training in counselling and in the various schools of counselling and therapy, I am essentially an educated layman where it comes to clinical, mental health.  Nevertheless, I have read some interesting findings recently, and they do fit in with what I’ve been asserting over the last few days:  that religious involvement is a factor that can help lead one to positive outcomes in life.  And I’m not at all addressing the theological implications of being religious against being secular; that’s an entirely different argument to make, and whilst it is a valid argument it’s not how I wish to address the subject here.  Since I’ve been writing about Happiness for the past few weeks, and specifically behaviours and lifestyles that can help lead to Happiness in life, I want to address religion as one more tool, so to speak, that one can use in seeking to find Happiness and wholeness.  In other words, I am addressing religion strictly from a pragmatic angle here.
          I think that it is important to add the following caveat to the case I’ve been making for being religious.  It needs to be a positive and supportive form of religion.  I’m not going to give a list of what religions I think are ‘good’ in this respect and which are not.  It’s probably self-evident that I consider Judaism – at least the forms of it that I know! – to be in the former column.  But it certainly isn’t the only one in that column!  But all religion is not created equal.  It would be counter-intuitive for me to deny that there are instances of various religion – Judaism included! – that exhibit characteristics that would be unhelpful pragmatically.  Negative religious beliefs – that G-d is punishing or abandoning you – have been linked to harmful outcomes such as depression and unhappiness.
"If people have a loving, kind perception of God," and feel God is supportive, they seem to experience benefits, said Kenneth Pargament, a professor of psychology and an expert on religion and health at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. But "we know that there's a darker side to spirituality," Pargament said. "If you tend to see God as punitive, threatening or unreliable, then that's not very helpful" to your health, he said.
Studies on the brains of religious people tend to show activity in the areas that support good states of mind, the would help inhibit negative mental states.  That’s why, whilst I am not qualified to treat people with mental illness and I would never consider religious faith or practice to be a substitute for valid modes of treatment, I feel confident to say that religion – if it is positive and affirming and practiced in the midst of a supportive community – is an important element in finding peace with mental illness.  The tragedy is, that those who would benefit in this respect, often avoid religious involvement because of fear or judgement by members of the community.  The fear is real and its understandable, but the reality is that any and every religious community has many individuals who suffer from different forms of mental illness.

I know I’m late completing this evening’s installment, so I’ll conclude here and get this posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment