Sunday, May 8, 2016

Counting the Omer: Sunday night, 8 May 2016/2 Iyar 5776

Today is Day Two of Week Three of the Omer.  That is Day Sixteen of the Omer.   The theme of the Week is Happiness.

          Politics.  We utter it as if it were a dirty word.  Yet we follow it assiduously.  We dismiss the political realm as if the whole process, and everyone connected with it were corrupt.  Yet we observe every trend, and we open many a conversation with it, and we get hot under the collar about it perhaps more than anything else.
          As an American living in Australia, this has been an interesting season for me.  First – and most obviously – the USA is in the throes of a very turbulent political season in the run-up to the 2016 Presidential Election.  Many, perhaps most Aussies are fascinated by the US elections.  Of course, the primary overt interest right now is on the Donald Trump phenomenon.  But also on the general process in the US, its complexity and the protracted length of the election campaigns.  Against this, Australia is facing an election season herself.  Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull petitioned the Governor General today for a double dissolution of parliament.  That is, to completely dissolve both houses and put every seat up for election, on July second.  Aussies are following both dramas – their own, and the one unfolding in America – closely.
          I mention US and Australia politics, not because I’m winding up to tell you my own preferences.  Rather, I think that the way we follow and react to politics says something about the happiness quotient.  That is, the dearth of happiness that I mentioned yesterday.  Politics doesn’t make us miserable.  But it often becomes a focus for our misery.
          So many people feel so miserable, and so apt to blame their misery on external forces.  If my misery is not my own fault, then I’m somehow vindicated, aren’t I?  But if I have to take responsibility for my own happiness, yet I’m miserable, then I almost have to internalise that I’m a failure, don’t I?  So we focus on other causes, blame others for our lack of happiness.  (By the way, I’m not saying that I personally subscribe to the equation miserable=failure.  I’m just pointing out the binary view that many of us hold.)
          There’s no question that it matters who leads our respective countries.  A good government can make a country flourish.  Clever economic policies can boost the economy and make a large part of the country breathe easier.  Responsible domestic social policy can make more people feel that the country’s direction is more in concert with their own values.  Wise foreign policies can raise the country’s profile world-wide and make the country matter in a greater and more positive way.  One has to be really cynical to think that it doesn’t matter who leads the country.
          And yet there is a degree of cynicism afloat today.  Some would say that it is cynicism that is driving the US electorate’s decisions in the primaries.  There’s no question that a significant portion of Mr. Trump’s success in securing the Republican nomination is due to a deep cynicism amongst members of the Party.  And likewise on the Democrat side; although it appears that Secretary Clinton has her party’s nomination all but wrapped up, there is a strong element on the Left that believes she’s just another political hack and is therefore pushing their own outsider – Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders – to mount a strong challenge.
          But relevant to the happiness factor, I think that there’s a tendency to internalise that the political process – the election results, and the corruption that is assumed to be widespread amongst political office-holders – is a strong determinant of one’s personal happiness.  It isn’t, though.
          It matters to me, who will win the US election.  If my presence in Australia were more permanent, I would think the same of the big parliamentary election coming up this summer…er, winter.  But in either case, my happiness does not depend on it.  It doesn’t depend on either country’s political choices, nor on the outcome of the civil war in Syria, nor on the refugee problem in Europe, nor even on the recent spread of anti-Israel sentiment in the world and the question of whether this constitutes Antisemitism.  And that isn’t to say that all these things don’t matter; they matter a lot!  But for each and every one of us, happiness resides far closer to home.  And we must look far closer to home, in addressing our happiness.

          Those on the Left who threaten to quit America should Trump win, and those on the right who threaten the same if Clinton or Sanders wins (I actually haven’t heard any celebrities say they would, but I’m guessing that someone out there is thinking that if not expressing it), can live out their years in whatever country they like, and which would accept them.  As can I, although my decision will not depend on who lives in the house at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.  Because no matter how much I might roll my eyes at anything that the occupant of that address might say, it does not affect my happiness.  And I hope you recognize that it doesn’t affect yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment