Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Counting the Omer: Tuesday Night, 24 May 2016/18 Iyar 5776

Today is Day Four of Week Five of the Omer.  That is Thirty-two Days of the Omer.  The Theme continues to be Happiness.

          Anybody who knows me, knows that music plays a constant part in everything I do.  In my work as a Rabbi, I focus on the musical aspect of religious ceremony as an important element in setting the mood that I seek within my group.  I’m actually not exceptional amongst my Progressive colleagues in this way; certainly in American Reform Judaism there is a tendency among Rabbis to play guitar and to incorporate the musical style that the instrument engenders, into their religious services.  Okay, in my case it’s ukulele!  I used to use a guitar, and the first time I led a tour to Israel I picked up a ukulele because I wanted to lead singing in the tour bus, and I couldn’t imagine negotiating the aisle of a motor coach with a guitar.  The ukulele worked just fine.  Afterwards, I found myself playing uke more and more to where I hardly played the guitar anymore.
          People either love or hate that I’m a ukulele-playing Rabbi.  Some people respond positively because the uke is so cute and delightful.  One woman in my congregation in Colorado told me:  When you pick up the uke, there’s a big smile on your face, and we find it infectious.  And some people respond negatively, because they don’t see the uke as a ‘real’ instrument, rather as a plaything.  And then there is the third group:  the traditionalists, for whom the use of any musical instrument in religious worship just doesn’t seem right.
          I’ve incorporated music, and specifically the ukulele, in just about everything I do in my rabbinate.  I use it in the regular weekly Shabbat services, and I vary the tunes for various parts of the service based on my moods.  When someone in the congregation has a special occasion, I sometimes offer a special song:  Debbie Friedman’s Tefilat Haderech is somebody is going away on a long trip; Craig Taubman’s Sh’ma Beni for a baby-naming or even a bar/bat mitzvah; Taubman’s Journey for somebody moving away permanently.  I’ve used This is the Moment for weddings.  I even do music at funerals on request.  One woman asked me to sing Side by Side for her husband’s funeral.  A man requested G-d is Great, Beer is Good, People are Crazy for his wife’s funeral.  I have to tell you – that was the strangest musical request I’ve ever fulfilled.  But it worked.
          My notoriety for singing and playing music goes beyond the congregations I’ve served.  When my son, Eyal was born three months premature, I used to sit in the Newborn ICU and sing to him.  A year after we took him home, my daughter was born, also premature, and she too did a stint in the NICU.  The day after her birth, Clara and I went to see her in the hospital and immediately opened her charts.  In the care notes were the warnings:  the child’s mother is an RN and will expect detailed briefings every day.  The father likes to sing.
          Music is, in effect, the soundtrack of our lives.  Whenever I listen to an ‘oldies’ station which plays music that was popular in my formative years, the sounds of the various songs take me back to the experiences I had in those years.  I know that I’m not alone in this.  When I hear a song that I remember from the 70’s when I was in high school, it takes me back.  The first time that I heard Madonna sing Spanish Lullaby, I happened to be on a beach in Southern Spain; now whenever I hear the song, I can close my eyes and be transported back to that same beach.  I can see it – and even smell the salty air and the coconut butter that the Spaniards slathered on their lithe bodies.
          There is much research that shows a correlation between listening to music, and Happiness.  In fact, neurological research shows that even in children as young as five months respond positively, the brain receptors associated with Happiness becoming active, when the child is exposed to music.  Anecdotal evidence makes the correlation even younger, even in utero.  And we all know that we can create the kind of electricity that we desire, between individuals, with music helping.  How many seductions involved playing jut the ‘right’ music, calculated to set the mood?  C’mon guys, ‘fess up; how many have put that Bolero disc in the machine when that special lady came over to your pad??!
          So of course, certain kinds of music work better than others for setting the desired mood.  Music that is harsh and cacophonous is unlikely to soothe the savage soul.  But most of us, whilst favouring one or two types of music, cn enjoy various genres of music.

          Music is one of the easiest path to Happiness.  A life filled with music cannot help being a Happier life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment