Thursday, May 5, 2016

Counting the Omer: Friday night, 6 May 2016/29 Nissan 5776

Today is Day Seven of Week Two of the Omer.  That is Day Fourteen of the Omer.   The theme of the Week is Relationships.

It’s amazing how much our culture has been, and is continuously, influenced by Social Media.  And when I say ‘Social Media’ I mean, primarily, Facebook.  I know of very few people who use Instagram and Twitter, for example.  I have accounts on the sites LinkedIn and MeetUp, but as little as I use Social Media at all, I use Facebook far more than the others.
I’ve commented before on my mixed feelings about Facebook.  I think it’s a great tool for keeping in touch with friends, family and acquaintances, especially when they are far-flung.  For example, just the other day I happened to learn through Facebook that one of my nieces and her partner, had moved house.  I see that niece very rarely, and I don’t communicate directly with her.  So reading the Facebook post was kind of a nice thing.  Such ‘nice things’ come frequently on Facebook, when I happen to read about the goings-on of one person of another.
The down side of Facebook, to me, is twofold.  First, it can be a big time drain.  It can – and often does! – turn into an obsession, with one wanting to instantly view and offer feedback to posts as they are put up.  This especially, when one uses the Facebook mobile app and had turned on notifications.  That’s the nature of electronic media in general; because it’s instant, we end up feeling compelled to look instantly whenever someone pings us, and answer immediately, even at the expense of maintaining continuity in anything else we might be doing.  Even, say, a face-to-face conversation.    
My other gripe with Facebook is that it does not foster effective two-way communication.  Exchanges on Facebook, when they are not superficial, tend to take on the quality of two ships-of-the-line firing broadsides at one another.  Instead of engendering effective communications between individuals, Facebook seems to give people license to attack one another endlessly.
I wonder how much of the kind of communication we learn from Facebook, spills over into ‘real life.’  Look, not to blame the lack of communication skills that seems to be pandemic today on Facebook.  But I think that any behaviours learned on a particular media, one into which so many people invest so much of their energies, have got to spill over into other parts of life.  So I’m not out to vilify Facebook – since I use it myself – but to express caution concerning the habits we learn from it, and how they affect us generally.
Facebook communication is instantaneous, but it isn’t conducted in a way that instant feedback, verbal or otherwise, can pass between parties to a ‘conversation.’  That’s, I think, why the ‘broadside’ quality comes out:  it’s instant and therefore subject to emotional outbursts, yet there is not instant feedback so it is not subject to the constraint that most of us practice when speaking face-to-face or even over the telephone.
SMS exchanges, or ‘texting,’ is subject to the same limitation.  It’s best left to quick notifications or passing of information that is best received in durable form – like sending someone an address or phone number.  Look, I hope nobody thinks I’m the guy in the glass house throwing stones!  I am, to be sure, occasionally guilty of all that I’m describing here.  And you may well be reading this, because I posted a link to my blog on…Facebook!  But sometimes I would like to hang Mr. Zuckerberg by his thumbs from the yardarm…and keel-haul the guy who invented the SMS.
In the relationship counselling business, practitioners often use the verb ‘communicate’ and the noun ‘communication’ ad nauseum.  Believe me, I’ve sat through many a class or briefing where it seemed that every third word out of the presenter’s mouth was one of the two.  But the truth is that so much of positive relationships, requires effective and empathic communication.  And unfortunately, today many of us are involved in media that simply teach us bad communication skills, rather than good ones.

There’s surely more to say about relationships, but I’m now going to move on.  I have talked this week about how relationships should be tools to help us achieve happiness.  So, for the next week, I’m going to talk about happiness.  Shabbat shalom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment