Sunday, May 22, 2016

Counting the Omer: Sunday Night, 22 May 2016/16 Iyar 5776

Today is Day Two of Week Five of the Omer.  That is Thirty Days of the Omer.  The Theme continues to be Happiness.

          Sometimes, I get really good input from people who have read my blog.  Today’s entry is thanks to such input from Rachael, a friend and member of our group here on the Gold Coast.  In talking about Happiness, Rachael suggested that chutzpah is an important tool for one seeking happiness.
          Yeah, I hear you!  Chutzpah??!  (I’m not sure why I’m rendering it in italics; it has become an acceptable word in the English language.)  What does chutzpah have to do with Happiness??!  And you know, I briefly thought the same thing when Rachael said it.  Very briefly.  And then I saw it.  Let me explain.
          Chutzpah is a difficult term to translate exactly.  It means Gall, Nerve, or Cheek.  How about ‘Brazen Effrontery’?  But all those translations don’t really do it justice.  Leo Rosten, in The Joy of Yiddish, defined it as:  that quality enshrined in a man who, having killed his mother and father, throws himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan.  In terms of part of speech, chutzpah is a noun, referring to this quality that I’m trying to describe.  The person who has chutzpah is called, in Hebrew, a chutzpan.  The equivalent Yiddish term might sound more familiar:  chutzpadik.
          Chutzpah is a characteristic often considered to be emblematic of Jews.  To translate that into English:  people often see Jews as being chutzpadik.  And there’s more than a little truth to that.  Jews generally don’t mind being cheeky.  We expect it of one another.  But there’s something more to it.
          A long time ago, I lived in Turkey for a year.  It was my last full day in the country, and I wanted to spend my remaining Turkish Lira since it would be absolutely worthless anywhere else.  So I was shopping on a commercial street in Istanbul, shopping not out of need as much for fun.  But I happened to need a white dress shirt, so I wandered into a men’s clothing store.  Remember, I’d lived in this country for a year; therefore, I had plenty of experience in the art of bargaining for goods. (Interestingly, Pazar means ‘marketplace’ in Turkish.  Pazarlik means the act of negotiating a price.  So even linguistically, to the Turks bargaining is an essential part of shopping!)  Anyway, I was in this men’s shop trying hard to get the price of the shirt down to what I wanted to pay for it.  I was using the Turkish language.  All of a sudden, the shopkeeper addressed me in English:  This price is fair.  I’m not a thief, I’m a Jew!  I looked at him and broke out laughing.  Ben de Yehudi, I said, meaning:  I am also a Jew.  We had a good laugh together and I bought the shirt.  I don’t remember whether it was for my price or his.  It didn’t matter.  It was just play money, after all!
          What I’m trying to say, is that chutzpah is above all, playful.  When we use chutzpah, it’s a sign that we don’t take ourselves too seriously.  I don’t know about you, but one characteristic that annoys me to no end in people – Jewish or otherwise – is when they take themselves too seriously!  Hashem doesn’t take us too seriously!  How do I know this?  It’s self-evident!  How could He have created us the way we are, if He took us as seriously as we sometimes take ourselves?
          There’s actually a delightful Midrash on this.  After Hashem created man, the angels came to Him to complain what a mess He’d made in doing so.  They brought to G-d all the complaints they had about this man, and they were many.  It would have been better if You hadn’t created him, they said accusingly.  And Hashem, in response, shrugged his shoulders (as it were) and said:  You’re right!  I shouldn’t have created him!  But I did, so we’re stuck with him!  (Okay, this is a paraphrase…but I think it conveys the essence of the Midrash!)
          When somebody displays chutzpah, I take it as a sign of playfulness.  Of self-depreciating humour.  As a sign of someone who can laugh at himself and others.  We Jews have a well-deserved reputation for our ability to laugh at ourselves and others.  Jews have virtually invented a number of popular styles of comedy, wit, and sarcasm.  We are famous, as a group, for not taking ourselves too seriously.  And that, Dear Reader, is an important key to Happiness.  You have to learn to laugh at yourself and at others!  An excess of seriousness leads to fatalism.  Someone who is fatalistic cannot possibly be happy.  Excessively serious people are prone to mental illness, not Happiness.

          Let me quote Bobby McFerrin – not a Jew as far as I know, but expressing sentiment that every Jew should embrace:  Don’t worry, be happy!  If we can’t allow ourselves to be playful, to be chutzpadik, to come on strong with one another in a delightful way, then we cannot be Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment