Monday, May 16, 2016

Counting the Omer: Tuesday Night, 17 May 2016/11 Iyar 5776

Today is Day Four of Week Four of the Omer.  That is Twenty-five Days of the Omer.  The Theme continues to be Happiness.

In thinking deeply about those things in life that can be predicted to drive one towards Happiness, it is difficult for my thoughts to stray far from the subject of friendship.  Few things in life are better predictors of Happiness, than the forming of close and enduring friendships.
     The difficulty of finding true friends was addressed as early as Cicero (106 BCE-43 BCE) who wrote:  Few men have true friends, and few are worthy.  True friendship is splendid, and all splendid things are rare.  Many foolish men often think about money, few about friends; but they wander:  We are able to be strong without money, but without friendship life is not strong and we are nothing.  Cicero further wrote:  Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief.
     There are many, more contemporary voices who have stated similar sentiments, but I’ll refrain in order to allow you the pleasure of looking them up yourself.  Suffice it to say that the idea that true friends are a rarity, is an observation commonly made by thinking people in every age.  And yet, friends are really a key to Happiness.
     Why does it seem so difficult to make and keep true friends?  I think that everybody will answer that question differently.  Most of us will point to circumstances of our lives that have conspired to prevent us from forming, and cementing, friendships.  I’ve got my own; want to hear my personal whinge on the subject?  (If you’re not one of my Australian readers, know that ‘whinge’ is ‘Strine’ – Aussie slang – for what we Americans call a ‘whine.’  So a ‘whinger’ is the equivalent of a ‘whiner.’)  So, I’ve found it hard to form true friendships because of my calling to the Rabbinate; people either relate to me as a figurehead more than as a friend, or I determine that people whom I meet, need a Rabbi more than they need a friend…and at the end of the day, I can’t be both.  Anyway, that’s my whinge.  Everybody else will address their paucity of friends in some different way.  But the truth is that we all lack friends for the same reasons.
     We lack friends because we expend our friend-making energies making, instead, contacts and circles of influence.  I know:  these are business terms.  And it’s not my purpose to demean or criticise the process of building business networks.  But building networks of friends is very different.  And it requires a very different mindset.
     When I think back on all the friends I’ve had in my life – most of whom I still have, even though I may not have been in close proximity with them for a long time – I see commonalities in how the friendships got started.  In all cases, the acquaintanceship that preceded the friendship started because of some common interest.  A mutual interest in Jewish life, for example.  A mutual occupation – Air Force chaplain, for example.  A mutual recreational interest – ukulele playing or firearms marksmanship, for example.  Most friendships grew out of an initial acquaintanceship resulting from some mutual interest.  But how and why they then became friendships, rather than remaining as acquaintanceships when so many other acquaintanceships resulting from the same mutual interests did not – that’s an entirely different matter.
     At the end of the day, true friendship does not come from shared interests.  It comes from a touching of souls that simply cannot be explained – or predicted.  Let me give you a couple of examples of my enduring friendships, to illustrate.  If the friends I’m describing happen to be reading this and recognize themselves in my narrative, I hope you don’t find it [too] embarrassing!
     One friend is someone I’ve known for almost 20 years.  I met him on my first day as a US Air Force chaplain; he was a colleague at my first base.  I remember saying to him, once we’d introduced ourselves and he told me he was a Presbyterian:  We’re going to be good friends.  Now, I’m really not sure why I said that; I’d not had a lot of friends before (or since) who were Presbyterians.  But for some reason, that was my gut reaction to meeting him.  And it has proven to be true!  Apart from the fact that I met him on my first day of active duty as a chaplain, there was nothing overtly in common that suggested we would become such good friends.  I was married with two young children; he was – and remains – single.  I am introverted, he is a ‘flaming’ extrovert.  We have no particular shared interests – except perhaps that we’re both foodies, and I guess that that’s something! – that would have led us to spend a lot of time together.  And yet, 20 years on we remain in close contact.  We have been to Israel together, co-leading an interfaith tour.  We’ve vacationed together (along with Clara and our kids) in Moab, Utah.  I look forward with pleasure to the next time we will get together, may it be soon.
     The other friend I haven’t known so long:  only about seven years.  We met because the daughter of a member of the congregation I was serving (who wasn’t herself Jewish) referred him to me for some questions about Judaism.  He’s not Jewish either, rather a devoted follower of Jesus of Nazareth who believes G-d has called him to live a life in accordance with the Torah.  So our relationship began with him thirsting for knowledge about Judaism, and my availability and willingness to share it with him.  But the relationship ultimately became something entirely different.  Some shared experiences, including a wonderful weekend camping trip with him and a few other men, and just spending lots of time together talking about things, and the deep touching of souls that happened along the way, turned this acquaintanceship into one of those rare friendships that we cherish.
     These are not the only two friendships I can point to!  Any other friends who happen to be reading this, please don’t feel bad about not making this particular ‘list’!  I thought that these two would best illustrate the mystery of true friendship, and how unpredictable the process of forming those friendships can be.  In both cases, a commonality was that there was no particular predictor that these would become my best friends.  And yet in both cases, with time a deep connection simply formed, and we both nurtured it with an unspoken bond of mutuality.
     Mutuality is really the key to true friendship.  Two can’t be friends if one of the two is not seeking friendship.  We form all kinds of acquaintanceships – some superficial, some much deeper – that stem from a dovetailing of interests.  We enjoy spending time with these individuals.  These acquaintanceships can and sometimes do become friendships.  But it isn’t automatic.  Sometimes it simply does not happen.
     Besides mutuality of need and desire for friendship, there must be a mutuality of position in the relationship.  True friendships seldom develop between boss and employee or superior and subordinate.  As my colleagues in the Rabbinate and in the ministry in general can attest, true friendships seldom develop from friendly relations between them and a member of their congregations.  Many colleagues warn against becoming friendly with congregants, because at the end of the day, the clergyman or woman cannot be a true friend with someone whom they meet thus.  Personally, I prefer never to say never in this matter, but my experience has largely born the consequences of this truism.  If a true friendship is going to precede from an acquaintanceship formed under terms of non-mutuality of position, it must at some point transcend that aspect of relationship and ultimately become one of equals.
     If you’ve been reading my blog posts with any regularly, you’ve seen that I claim to be a person largely driven by the quest for rational knowledge.  Yet friendship essentially transcends rationality.  We cannot make a list of the things that will make us cling in friendship to one person and not to another.  Let me correct myself; we can make such a list, but at the end of the day many of those we end up counting as our true friends would not have made the list.
     We cannot predict who will be our friends, but we can recognise the spark of friendship, nurture it, and cherish it.  There are few surer ways to Happiness, than the forming of friendships.  

No comments:

Post a Comment