Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Counting the Omer: Thursday Night, 19 May 2016/13 Iyar 5776

Today is Day Six of Week Four of the Omer.  That is Twenty-seven Days of the Omer.  The Theme continues to be Happiness.

I’ve been a hard-working, burn-the-candle-at-both-ends kind of guy for a good portion of my life.  It’s not that I don’t know how to relax; I can chill with the best of them.  But if my ‘chill times’ are not an interlude between periods of intense activity, then I don’t feel fulfilled.  To illustrate, I’ve often bristled at the inactivity that vacations bring.  For the first day or two, it’s great.  No responsibilities!  No schedule!  And then I start climbing the walls.  If it isn’t an active vacation, where I get to do physical activities – and mild physical activities are fine, they don’t have to be strenuous or adrenalin-inducing – then I don’t return home rested.  Instead, on sedentary vacations I tend to overeat, and I return home frustrated.
This has changed a bit now that I’m speeding toward the end of my sixth decade of life.  I’ve learned to take things a little slower.  But work has always defined me that way that it does many men, perhaps generally more than women.  I’ve always thrived best when I’ve felt needed by a variety of people, for a variety of reasons.  Why else would someone become a Rabbi, after all?
It’s no secret that work often leads to Happiness.  I know I’m not the only one who has always felt happiest when I’ve had satisfaction from my work.  I’ve never been unemployed in my adult life, except for very short periods or when I’ve been studying, and even then I worked part-time.  When I was in rabbinical school, except the first year, I had all kinds of part-time jobs.  When I was in graduate school, I was a prison chaplain.
But I know people who have been unemployed for extended periods:  even years.  And I see how being unemployed, wears a person down over time.  Of course there’s the stress of diminished finances.  But that’s not the entire story.  Unemployment itself is a weight that can and does interfere with Happiness.  I’ve seen people who were reasonably happy when employed, turn to misery when unemployed for more than a short period.  It’s anecdotal evidence of the phenomenon to be sure, but it’s powerful evidence nonetheless.
We have a tendency to think of our employment primarily in terms of providing us with the parnassah, or income, to live.  And of course, that’s natural.  Anybody (especially a man) who lacks a drive to provide for themselves and their family, is missing something important.  Of course, for some that drive produces more success than for others.  But the drive itself is more important than the success.  And the way that we respond to that drive gives an important glimpse into the soul of the person.
But our work is much more than a way to pay the bills.  At least, I’m asserting that it aught to be.  I’ve written before about the need to answer one’s individual calling.  It goes without saying that one must first find one’s calling.  I’ve personally been blessed in that my calling and my career have, for most of my life, been one and the same.  No everybody has this advantage.  I know of people who have trained hard for lucrative careers which, in the end, provided them with a good living but little fulfillment.  I’m talking about lawyers and dentists, for example.  Not that one cannot find one’s calling at the bar or in dentistry.  Rather, the people I’m talking about pursued those professions for their rewards but the most important reward – work satisfaction – eluded them.
So, for those who cannot point to the activity that pays the rent and the groceries, and think of it as a calling, it is necessary to find the satisfaction that comes from fulfilling one’s calling, in ‘off-duty’ activities.
But even if one cannot see one’s work as a calling, that does not diminish the importance of work in one’s life.  Work is ennobling.  Instead of seeing it as something we simply have to do in order to enjoy our leisure, we should see it as a ticket to self-esteem.  To purpose in life.  To Happiness.
If you follow my writing, you’re aware of my skepticism concerning the modern Welfare State.  I know that a few of my readers are dependent upon Centrelink to survive. (For my non-Australian readers, that is the central address for social services and benefits in this country.)  And when I criticise this system, I hope I don’t sound heartless and as if I want people who depend on these benefits to be homeless.  I don’t.  But I also don’t want people to be hopeless, and hopelessness is a trait I see in most people I meet, who are long-term beneficiaries of the state’s largesse.  It’s unfortunate that the very system intended to give people a safety net, usually entangles them in its web of long-term dependency.
The Welfare State is just one aspect of the Nanny State that kills initiative and creativity in its drive to protect us from ourselves.  An American friend who has lived in Australia for some time, described its effect to me thusly:  A few years back, if someone jumped off a bridge, people would shake their heads and say, ‘Poor Sod.’  Now they spend millions putting nets on the bridges so that people can’t jump off.  Look, as a religious Jew I don’t want people to commit suicide by any means, jumping off bridges included.  But the state’s purpose is to protect us from aggressor nations and to keep public order.  It isn’t to take the risk out of life, period.
And lest you think I’m being overly critical of Australia, understand that Australia is simply going – has gone! – in the same direction, in this respect, as virtually all of Western Europe.  And in truth, America is not far behind.  During the 1990’s, a rare period of cooperation between the [Clinton] White House and the [Republican] Congress, produced a raft of great programs which got people off public assistance and back to work.  But the past decade or so has seen the re-emergence of the Welfare State and its culture of entitlement in the USA.

It’s Thursday once more; with sunset today begins erev Shabbat, the eve of the Sabbath.  Shabbat has meaning because it offers a time-out from our normal work and activities.  It gives us a means to refresh ourselves and examine, among other things, the work we do the rest of the week – and ask ourselves if we’ve found meaning in that work.  The Sabbath provides us with a glimpse of Olam Haba – of the World to Come, where we’ll be freed from the need to earn a living.  But Olam Hazeh this world – is made for work.  And that need not be seen as a prison.  There are days when I, like you, would prefer not to have to go to work.  But when I think of a life without work, I wonder about the difficulty of finding meaning in life.  Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment