Thursday, May 29, 2014

From Your Life and Mine A Drash for Friday, 30 May 2014

This week, as sometimes happens, I wrote one drash but am delivering another.  Each time I sit down at my keyboard to write for the pulpit, I do so with one thought in mind:  what can I say that will challenge, and potentially benefit, my congregation?  There is so much wisdom for teaching and considering in our Torah.  I therefore take the bulk of my drashes from thoughts occasioned by an intersection of the words of the weekly Torah reading, and something that I experienced recently.  But sometimes, the lesson I ultimately feel compelled to share, comes from an entirely different direction.
This is one of those occasions.  This week, I attended two funerals.  I have spoken from the pulpit before about funerals, of my thoughts occasioned by my attending – or officiating – them.  I did not officiate the two funerals I attended this week.  Nor did I personally know the two deceased individuals.  But I am inspired to share the thoughts of the speakers, with you this evening.
          The first funeral was for Freyda Myers Cooper, a onetime member of this community who moved to the Sunshine Coast some ten years back.  You may remember her.  She was the mother of Rabbi John Cooper, who remains a member of this congregation although he also lives far north, in Palmwoods.  When Rabbi Cooper let me know that his mother had passed away, I knew I had to show up to support my friend and colleague – and member of my congregation – in the time of his grief.
          Rabbi Cooper eulogized his mother from the heart.  One phrase he used, struck me as a key for achieving a happy life.  He spoke of his mother’s talent for “reinventing herself.”  He recommended we consider it as a lifelong strategy for coping with the changes during the transition times of our lives.
          You’ve heard me speak of transitions.  Yes, when we pass through transitions, it is our task to “reinvent” ourselves to find our way in our new reality.  Can we accept each transition with equanimity?  Can we ask ourselves how we need to “reinvent” ourselves to adjust to the change, and then do so?  If so, then we will have gone a long way towards reconciling with our new conditions.  And towards finding and maintaining our happiness through them.  Rabbi Cooper praised his mother for her ability to make these changes as the circumstances of her life changed.  He recommended to those assembled, that they learn from this the importance of being open to such changes.  I think that’s a lesson, from which each one of us can benefit.
          The second funeral that I attended was that of Pam Goldstein.  Pam, and her husband John, are members of Temple Shalom although they have not been regular fixtures in our sanctuary in recent years.  The primary reason is that Pam has been battling the cancer that ultimately took her life.  My colleague Rabbi Gurevich conducted the funeral because of his long association with the Goldstein family.  Some of Rabbi Gurevich’s words resonated deeply with me.
          In his eulogy for Pam Goldstein, Rabbi Gurevich pointed out that there are two days in every week, about which one need not worry.  As with any good drash, his words immediately set my mind to racing through the question of which days he might mean.  Surely one would be Shabbat; if there’s any one day, about which we should not worry, it is the weekly Sabbath.  But I could not decide what the second day would be.
          Rabbi Gurevich surprisingly identified the first day, about which one should not worry, as “yesterday.”  After all, yesterday is history.  If we continue to dwell on yesterday, how will it benefit us?  That’s not to say that we shouldn’t learn and internalize the lessons from yesterday.  Rather, that we should not obsess over decisions we made, or actions we took, or things we said.  Or the decisions, actions or words of others yesterday.  Because they cannot be undone.  A key to happiness is to learn the lesson and move on.
          Still unsure of where Rabbi Gurevich was going with his drash, I listened for the second day each week, about which we shouldn’t worry.  And that is:  “tomorrow.”  But of course!  Sure, we should plan for tomorrow.  As the cliché goes, those who fail to plan, plan to fail.  We should think ahead, we should visualize tomorrow and where we want to be.
          But we shouldn’t worry about tomorrow.  We shouldn’t obsess about it.  In planning for how we want our tomorrow to look, we can never anticipate all the circumstances that will determine our ultimate destiny.  So we should plan, but approach tomorrow with a strong dose of sanguinity.  Because we should see tomorrow as a challenge, not as a dreaded specter of evil.
         By the time Rabbi Gurevich finished telling us that tomorrow was the second day each week about which we should not worry, he had penetrated my thick skull to where I was ready for his conclusion.  Today is the only day, about which we should worry.  Be in the moment.  Every unfolding moment today represents a real-time opportunity to do the most good, to attain the most happiness.  Yesterday is history, and tomorrow is too tenuous to determine.  Today is, at the end of the matter, the only thing that matters.
          Two profoundly important lessons!  Neither is ‘rocket science.’  But both are lessons that, judging from the way we live our lives and play out our relationships, are generally lost on us.  And each one I learned, or perhaps re-learned, because I attended a funeral.  Because the lives of the deceased, had inspired the thoughts of the eulogiser.  Who in turn felt inspired to share to share those thoughts with those who gathered to pay their respects.
          In Mishnah Avot, we find the following eternal snippet of wisdom:  Who is wise?  He that learns from everyone.  And not only from everyone’s words.  Also from everyone’s lives.

It is easy to think of each person’s life as an entity detached from all others.  As the personal business of the one living it.  One can think of everyone else’s life as unrelated to one’s own.  But that would be a mistake.  Each one of us is uniquely individual.  But each one of us has a lesson to share with others.  Through our words.  And through our very lives.  Shabbat shalom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment