Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Counting the Omer: Wednesday night, 4 May 2016/27 Nissan 5776

Today is Day Five of Week Two of the Omer.  That is Day Twelve of the Omer.   The theme of the Week is Relationships.

I know that I like to share ‘war stories’ from my years as a chaplain, in particular from the many hours I spent counselling individuals and sometimes, couples for relationship issues.  So here’s another one:  A young man came to see me.  He wanted to complain about his marriage.  He wasted no time on preliminaries; he got right down to the ‘meat’ of the matter:  My wife and I fight a lot.  I guess we have to get a divorce.
I was almost speechless.  One thing that my calling has taught me is this; just when I think that I’ve heard it all, I’m quickly disabused of that notion as something else that I never imagined I’d hear, comes to my attention.
In the case of this particular young man, that he was unhappy in his marriage and thinking about an endgame was not, in itself, at all shocking.  No, what shocked me was the matter-of-factness of his presentation.  And the assumption that, if a couple fights, divorce is a foregone conclusion – even somehow ‘required.’
Conflict is almost a constant in life.  Almost every situation comes ripe for conflict.  If two or more individuals are involved in a situation, there is almost guaranteed to be some conflict.  Each one of us has core beliefs that spawn specific opinions and attitudes about any given situation.  And each one of us has a unique set of core beliefs and experiences, that translate into different ideas.  I’m not trying to say that agreement with others is a rare thing.  What I’m trying to say, is that total agreement with others, or even one other, is a very rare thing.    When there is disagreement, and we are in a relationship with the other person where we have to cooperate with them, then a number of different courses are usually available.  Person A might prevail.  Or person B.  Or, a compromise between what person A and person B want, might be reached.  More likely than not, a protracted discussion might ensure where persons A and B each try to convince the other that his or her way would be the better course.  When that happens, capitulation or compromise is unlikely.  We get very emotionally invested in our opinions, and when we try to convince someone else to go our way, we usually become more entrenched in our belief.  In other words, in presenting our arguments we often simply convince ourselves even stronger than we were convinced before!
So what is the solution in the case of a conflict?  Try this next time.  Seek First to Understand, then Seek to be Understood.  Sound familiar?  It’s Number Five of Stephen R. Covey’s The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.  It wasn’t hard for me to look up, because I keep the book on my Kindle and refer to it often.  So instead of entering into a competition where you and Person B try to convince one another that you’ve got the best way, simply ask him or her to explain their thinking.  And then, truly listen…and try to understand where they’re coming from.  You’d be surprised how often it works!  You actually get your way more often using this method, because you diffuse the conflict and the other person becomes as open to hearing you, as you to them.
 In any case, conflict in any relationship – but particularly in a marriage – is a fairly constant reality.  Unless one party to the relationship is simply submitting his or (usually) her will to the other.  But conflict does not necessarily lead to fighting.  ‘Fighting’ is an inefficient way to try to solve a conflict, but many of us don’t have many other tools at our disposal.  So we fight.  But ‘fighting’ – even fighting ‘a lot’ – does not in any way disqualify a couple from being married or argue for them to divorce.  Because it reveals a low level of skill in solving conflicts.  So divorcing for this reason, is almost a guarantee of more problematic relationships to come.  So it really doesn’t solve anything.
The better prescription for a couple that fights often, would be a course of therapy which would include some building of problem-solving skills.  Of course, that’s work!  But then, so are many other endeavours that we do not dismiss.  For example, improving one’s golf game is seldom easy; it requires hours of instruction, practice and patience.  But many golfers put forward the effort, because the see the potential gain of a much improved golf game as being worth the effort.
Likewise, marriage – or any relationship – requires work.  So instead of whinging about how it’s supposed to be fun, not work…just ask yourself:  is the potential gain of a happy relationship worth the effort.  Yup.  Right answer!
When that young man presented that he and his wife were fighting ‘a lot’ and therefore perhaps it was time to get a divorce, I immediately ask him if he didn’t think that marriage was important enough to at least consider that the conflicts might be solvable…rather than immediately turn tail and run?  Put that way, he agreed.  We had something to grasp for, something to work towards.
When I talk about divorce avoidance, I know that I’m always taking a certain risk.  Many people have personally experienced divorce, and the ‘danger’ is that they will immediately think I’m condemning them for their pasts.  This never occurred to me until I once gave a sermon on the subject, and as I walked out of the sanctuary after the service, someone in the congregation said to me:  Nice sermon, Pontiff Don.  In other words, in speaking about divorce as something not necessarily desirable, and definitely preventable in many cases, I was ‘pontificating.’  But that’s kind of silly.  There’s a long stretch between using my pulpit to encourage people to fight for their marriages, and condemning or encouraging the ostracism of those who are divorced.  Nobody should be weighed down by guilt for past events in their lives which are simply facts.  Rather, we should encourage those who have not experienced the pain of divorce, to work to improve and preserve their marriages.

And that’s the best advice you’ll hear all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment