Sunday, May 1, 2016

Counting the Omer: Monday night, 2 May 2016/25 Nissan

5776 Today is Day Three of Week Two of the Omer.  That is Day Ten of the Omer.   The theme of the Week is Relationships.
Yesterday I wrote about how we often don’t grasp our own cultural cues, much less those of others, and that can cause friction and conflict in relationships:  especially marriages.  But there are commonalities that transcend cultures, that we also do not catch.
          I’ll give an example.  One time I counselled a Korean woman who was married to an American airman.  She sat down in my office and, in a long and winding narrative, told me that her mother-in-law hated her because she was Asian.  When someone came to me for pastoral counselling, I always tried to keep an open mind to what the counselee was telling me.  In learning the ‘skill’ of pastoral counselling, one is taught to treat the counselee’s view of reality, as reality.  But as I listened to this woman’s ‘proof’ that her mother-in-law was racist and her husband was indifferent to the ‘fact,’ I couldn’t help but smile inside.
          Finally, when the woman finished telling me her tale of woe, I told her:  The good news is that your mother-in-law doesn’t hate you because you’re Korean.  She hates you because you married her son.  And then I explained to her a fact that exists in every culture; no son’s mother was ever satisfied with her son’s choice of a wife.  I assured her that I’d seen this play itself out time and again, including in my own family.
          So what am I supposed to do?  She wanted to know.
          I promised her that her mother-in-law’s animosity would go away when she produced grandchildren.  Once she did, chances were her husband’s wilder ways – which his mother surely knew well – would calm down and he would become more civilised.  And daughter-in-law would get the credit.  That aside, the mother-in-law would understand that, in order to have access to the grandchildren, she would have to learn to love her daughter-in-law.  And there was about a 90% chance that she would.
          What about the other 10 percent?  She wanted to know.
          Nine percent, her mother-in-law would simply pretend that she accepted her.  And the other one percent?  Well, there are always hopeless cases, but they are rare.
          I don’t know if I helped her.  But I never saw her again.  She either took my advice to heart, and managed to find peace with her mother-in-law.  Or else she decided the Rabbi was a crackpot...and went to another chaplain the next time.
Just out of curiosity, I did some research as into those elements that are common to all cultures.  As you can imagine, anthropology not being a ‘hard’ science, there are as many different lists as there are authors who have published.  None of them list ‘mothers-in-law putting their daughters-in-law through the mill,' but I suppose that it would be too impolite to say even if the respective anthropologists agreed!  Personally, I stand by my analysis based on anecdotal evidence.
But all this raises the question:  if there are absolutes that are common to all cultures, why are we often clueless about them?
Tough question.  But I think at its heart is that most of us lack self-awareness.  We go through life, deluding ourselves into believing in the existence of an idealised version of ourselves.  And being idealised, that view is way simplified.  Because we like to think of ourselves as transparent, as open and honest and straightforward.  Even when we’re not.  So in our idealised version of ourselves, we do not allow for such complexities.  When those around us cannot seem to read our cues, we tend to blame them, since we know that we are nothing but forthright.
A few years ago, I took a year’s sabbatical to study counselling in graduate school.  It was an interesting experience.  The academic part was relatively easy.  By the time you’ve got as much education as I have, you’ve mastered the techniques of studying, to acquire theoretical knowledge.  What was far more difficult were the human behavior labs.  In them, the teachers put us into situations calculated to goad us into dysfunctional behavior towards one another.  Often, they succeeded!  The professor who was in charge of the lab courses had a sort of mantra.  If the people around you think you’re screwed up, it’s because you are.  The point being that, when we see patterns in our interactions with multiple people, then almost by definition we are the cause – not them.  I never thought about that before; it took me until my fifties to hear, and internalise this essential truth.

I know I’m rambling a bit, but then it’s my blog!  But the point I’m trying to make is that, despite the uniqueness that each person possesses, and despite the cultural differences that make us behave in different ways, there are constants that are true to the vast majority of people, with whom we come in contact.  Because of the constantness, we are frequently unaware of these commonalities.  If we work try harder to know ourselves, and what motivates us, then we would be better able to understand others.  And our relationships would not be troubled with tensions stemming from unawareness of such obvious phenomena as the mother-in-law / daughter-in-law equation!

No comments:

Post a Comment