Monday, May 23, 2016

Counting the Omer: Monday Night, 23 May 2016/17 Iyar 5776

Today is Day Three of Week Five of the Omer.  That is Thirty-one Days of the Omer.  The Theme continues to be Happiness.

          An experience yesterday and today prompts me to write about discourse, about the way that we discuss issues.  I know that I have already addressed the topic of the way that we communicate on social media – meaning, essentially, Facebook – and how it is calculated to make us miserable rather than Happy.  But I’d like to return to the subject, because it illustrates the point that I wish to make today.
          A Facebook friend posted a link to an article on the Jewish Telegraphic Agency website, about how Jewish Americans should be worried – very worried – because the candidacy of Donald Trump for President of the US has increased the amount of blatant Anti-Semitic speech in the public square.
          Okay, you who are right now rolling your eyes and thinking:  Not Trump again!  This is not a blog post about Mr. Trump.  It’s about the way that we carry on discourse!  It just happens that a friend’s post about Trump occasioned the illustration I’m going to use.  Now, stop hyper-ventilating and relax!
          So my friend posed the question:  as Jews, how do we feel about the Anti-Semitic Tweets by Trump ‘supporters’ that have been occasioned by criticism of Trump and his family by Jewish voices?  It sounded like an honest and thoughtful question from a man whom I’ve come to see as honest and thoughtful.  So I responded.  I posted that I feel some consternation over the tone of these Tweets, just as I feel consternation over Tweets from the Left, from supporters of other candidates.  I wrote that I didn’t think the problem is Trump, but what passes for discourse today.  We take negative labels:  Anti-Semite, Racist, Islamophobe, Homophobe, Misogynist.  And we invoke them in response to something we disagree with, never mind that it doesn’t fit the description.  But we hurl these labels, because in a world where ‘discourse’ means the firing of salvos at one another, we’ve lost the tools for making rational and thoughtful cases for what we support.  For example:  in today’s public square, anybody who doesn’t support state sanction of same-sex unions as ‘marriage’ (and no other nomenclature will do), will be called a ‘Homophobe.’  Now it may well be, that any given member of the population who doesn’t think two men or two women should be defined as a ‘married couple,’ could very well be a ‘Homophobe.’  But to assume they are, is a false premise.  So the problem is that the word ‘Homophobe,’ because it is thrown around so freely, has no meaning any more.  Ditto the terms Anti-Semite, racist, Islamophobe, Misogynist, et cetera.  All these terms are used to label people who have given no particular indication that that’s, in fact, what they are.  So what happens is that when one encounters someone who actually is a Homophobe, Islamophobe, et cetera, and calls him or her out for it, it means absolutely nothing.
          Well!  You should have seen the vehemence of the responses!  Of course Trump is an Anti-Semite!  Poor benighted Don is just blinded by his allegiance to the Republican Party, to see this self-evident Truth!  It was funny in a way, because I think I can count the times in my life that I’ve voted Republican, on the fingers of one hand.  At least, in a national election.  So when I asked for some documentary evidence that Trump is an Anti-Semite, nobody could provide it; instead they filled my newsfeed with opinion pieces that were negative of the New York businessman but offered no evidence of Anti-Semitism.
This is the pitfall of public discourse today.  And the anger that goes along with the hurling of the epithets Homophobe, Islamophobe, Anti-Semite et al, conspires to keep us from being Happy.  Think about it.  If I’m going to react to something said by, for example, Donald Trump by hurling the label, Anti-Semite, then I am almost by definition (unless I’m simply using the term to be chutzpadik; see yesterday’s post!) being angry.  I’m getting hot under the collar.  My blood pressure is rising.  I’m craving a Prozac.  How could I possibly be Happy??!

          Isn’t it self-evident that, iff we feel led to engage in discourse of any kind, that we should do so from a rational and reasonable mindset?  And not out of anger, throwing epithets and labels and getting ourselves completely out-of-kilter?  I think it is.  Want to be happy?  Maybe it’s best to avoid political discourse altogether.  But it isn’t only politics that evokes this anger today.  Increasingly, it’s just about anything and everything.  So a better strategy is…don’t get angry when you discuss it!  And one way to keep from going down that path, is to avoid using labels that are calculated to turn the conversation angry.  I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who hurls such words around loosely and is even remotely Happy.  Think about it.  A good day, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment