Thursday, June 19, 2014

What will be Left? A Drash for Parshat Korach, Friday 20 June 2014

We were out of town on holiday this week.  The cash in my pocket was running low.  So I stopped at one of my bank’s many ATM’s, inserted my card, keyed in my PIN and requested cash.  Instead of dispensing the bank notes, the machine gave me a slip of paper telling me that I’d entered an invalid PIN and should try again.  That’s funny, I thought.  I know my PIN, and it’s always worked before.  So I tried again to the same effect.  That’s when I remembered the definition of insanity:  doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.
          So I stopped to think about the PIN I’d entered on the ATM’s keypad.  Isn’t that my PIN?  But maybe I had the digits in the wrong order.  So I tried a few other combinations to the same effect until…you guessed it, the machine announced that I’d had enough go’s, and my card would not be coming back.
          Oh, Pooh!  I thought.  Is it CRS?  Now CRS is military-speak for a very common ailment.  Maybe you’ve heard it referred to as a ‘senior moment.’  I’ve stopped using the term ‘senior moment,’ because having joined the ranks of senior citizens myself, I’m ever more sensitive to the danger of inadvertently offending one of my own.  So instead I use the military term ‘CRS,’ meaning:  Can’t Remember…er, Stuff.
          So my momentary attack of CRS caused me to lose my ATM card.  But no real harm done.  Clara was with me and used her card to get the cash.  Had I been alone I would simply have used a credit card for any further purchases during the trip.  Upon our return home I visited my bank to request a new card which will arrive, I’m told, within five working days.  So, no harm done and something to chuckle about.  Except…why did I have that attack of CRS that caused me to forget my PIN?  It was as if someone had dug a hole in my brain in the exact spot where that PIN was stored, and as a result…it disappeared.
          Look, I’m not really worried about this; I mention it only for its humorous value.  The truth is that, as we age, most of us will experience some stress when we find some fact that aught to be at our fingertips, has disappeared from memory.  If you’re older than me and you think you haven’t experienced this, chances are it’s because…well, you’ve forgotten.  It’s something to tease ourselves about, until it becomes really serious.  Several of you have shared with me that, when you feel that the really serious loss of mental faculties comes on, you will then question the continuation of your lives.  I don’t agree with this sentiment, but I certainly understand it.  When there’s nothing but a black hole left where our intellect once was, what is the motivation to go on?
          The term ‘black hole’ is a technical term from astronomy.  It means a region of space with such a gravitational pull, that not even light-waves can escape it.  But we often use the term as slang for when something is totally obliterated.  Including, in some contexts, the very memory of that thing.    
Perhaps the deeper question is what happens when there is nothing but a black hole where we once were, period?  I don’t mean our deaths; death is simply an inevitable fact of, er, life.  What I mean is, once we’re gone, what will be left?  Will there be nothing but a black hole, no trace that there was a person here?  As we go about the routines of our lives, do we even think about what will be left when we ‘check out’?
          It’s only natural to think of this question when reading this week’s Torah portion, Korach.  Korach challenged Moses’ leadership.  There is nothing intrinsically wrong with challenging someone else’s leadership when you think it is wanting.  Nobody likes to be challenged, whether or not they serve in a leadership position.  But challenges are part of leadership, at least democratic leadership.  Or, as Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks calls it in his drash on this week’s Parasha, servant leadership.’  This is how Rabbi Sacks complimentarily describes Moses’ leadership of the People Israel.
Korach and his band, in contrast were not demo-crats but dema-gogues.  That is, Korach and the 250 followers who had gathered behind him.  They had no particular complaint about Moses’ leadership.  Their ‘complaint’ was that they weren’t the ones in charge.  Their challenge was therefore not a valid challenge, and their punishment was to have the earth open up and swallow them without a trace of their physical existence.  It was as if they’d never been.  As if they’d fallen into a black hole.
          As I like to point out from time to time, there are so many ways to read the Torah.  When I read this narrative, I personally have no problem believing that the events unfolded exactly as chronicled.  I’ve seen enough instances of the breaking of the Laws of Nature.  So I can except God’s breaking them when it suits His purpose.  Although actually, as someone who grew up in Florida where sinkholes occasionally swallow up cars and even whole houses, the image of the earth swallowing up a band of 250 malcontents is really not, for me, such a stretch of the imagination.  But if your own sensibilities rebel against the narrative as presented in the text, there is still an important way to apprehend, through the text, the same lesson.
There is not a single trace in the Torah of the lives of the 250, except for this act of rebellion.  In fact, only Korach and three of the co-conspirators – Datan, Aviram, and On ben Peleg – are even named.  This, despite that all 250 are described as being men of rank, representatives of the assembly, and famous.  There is no trace of other 246 in the Torah, and none of the four named ones except for this act of theirs.  So even if you are personally skeptical about the earth opening up and swallowing 250 men without a trace, the truth is that, in a very real sense, the group has very much disappeared into a ‘black hole.’
          If so, what are we supposed to take away from this rather gruesome-sounding narrative?

          I think that we should all consider what traces of us will be left when we’re gone.  Of course, we’re all subject to the mortality that is a fact of our lives.  None of us can predict whether death will call us next year, tomorrow, or ten minutes from now.  A few of us will have advanced warning of our death, and that should be taken as the gift that it is.  Because the rest of us will have no warning whatsoever. We would be well-advised, then to consider that anything we do could very well be the last act of our lives.  The 250 members of Korach’s rebellion have disappeared into the black hole called oblivion.  The only trace of their existence is their final act of demagoguery.  With the benefit of their punishment, we can have the prescience to guide our own actions.  Our greatest gift to ourselves, not to mention the world around us, would be to consider each act of our lives as if it could be our final act.  Because it could very well be our final act.  Ask ourselves if that act is what we would like to be our only legacy.  Because in a very real way, it could very well be our only legacy.  Whenever we act, or inter-act, we should keep that in mind.  What legacy will you leave?  It’s something to think about.  Every moment of our lives.  Shabbat shalom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment