Thursday, June 5, 2014

…Out of Your Nose: A Drash for Parashat Beha’alotecha, Saturday 7 June 2014

When we were children, certain things that our parents said used to frustrate us to no end.  Remember that?  We vowed that, when we grew up and had children of our own, we would take a different approach.  Remember that??!  I remember the first time I caught myself responding to my son’s “Why do I have to do that?”  I responded with those immortal words:  “Because I’m your father and I say so.”  As soon as the words were out of my mouth, and as soon as my son turned away frustrated, I reflected.  Oy!  I’ve become my father!  That was a discomforting thought for a moment.  But then I realised that accepting your parents’ word is part of growing up.  Even when it isn’t what you, the child, want to hear.  Accepting that the answer isn’t always the one you want to hear, is part of growing up…part of life.  Another part of life, is finding as parents that our own parents weren’t as ‘bad’ as we’d thought them to be, back when.  So, even if it is at first disconcerting, we end up in effect ‘becoming’ our parents in significant ways.
           There is one expression I heard often from my mother as a child, which I think I’ve managed to avoid saying to my children.  Sometimes my mother would refuse me something and I would argue with her over it.  If it was something I wanted to eat, and she finally gave in and let me have it, she would often exclaim:  “You can have it, until it’s coming out of your ears!”  Even then, I knew she didn’t mean that literally.  Rather, she was expressing her frustration that I’d persisted in my whining until she could take it no longer and gave in.  Like many children, I learned exactly how long my mother would hold out.  I could calculate exactly how long I would have to keep up the nagging until I would get my way.
          So why have I avoided using this expression when giving in to my children?  Maybe because I’ve been a more difficult customer than my mother.
          So what’s the point of “coming out of your ears?”  Mum would make me eat or drink whatever it was, until I could stand it no longer.  Coming out of your ears meant having so much of it, that I became sick of it.  The things my mother would make me partake until they were “coming out of my ears” were things that were not intrinsically bad.  They were things that, in moderation, are not harmful.  But which, in excess, are not very good.
          In this week’s Torah portion, we find an example of this kind of whining, nagging behaviour.  It isn’t by children, but by the Israelites in the desert.  And we find an example of God, very parent-like, decreeing that His people will have that, which they desire, until they can stand it no longer.  He doesn’t use the expression “out of their ears,” but a close relative:  “out of their noses.”
          The people are in the throes of one of their periodic tantrums against the manna they’ve been eating.  During the sojourn in the wilderness, the people are not in the same place long enough to plant, cultivate, and harvest a crop.  There’s apparently no significant forage in the wilderness.  They are droving their livestock.  But the Torah does not tell us why they did not eat of their flocks and herds along the way.  It only tells us that they did eat manna, a white flaky substance, which they gathered and made into cakes that they fried and ate.  Manna represents a Divine gift.  It is a food that is there for the gathering, with little effort, in abundance, and it is nutritionally complete.  But the Israelites are not satisfied.  They want variety.  Moreover, they want meat!!!
          So they complain.  They nag.  Finally, God relents.  And He relents as a parent might to a nagging child.  He decrees that the Israelites shall have meat.  And they shall eat it every day for a full month.  Until – the Torah tells us literally – “it is coming out of [their] noses and making [them] nauseous!”
          I guess there are two lessons to be learnt from this reading.  First, some things are good – or at least, not harmful – in moderation but definitely not good in excess.  Meat is one of those, although vegetarians might disagree.  But most of us don’t think of meat as intrinsically harmful.  It provides essential protein in our diet.  Red meat in particular, gives us iron.  It does not contain carbohydrate.  On the other hand, meat in excess is not good for us.  It is more difficult than other foods, to digest.  It puts more fat in our circulatory systems. Although for this purpose some meats are worse offenders than others.  For most of us, eating meat in moderation is not a bad thing.  But if we eat and eat and eat meat, we will feel negative effects.
Like when we indulge at a churrascaria, a Brazilian-style barbeque where the meat is brought to the table until you tell the wait-staff to stop.  At such restaurants, one has a tendency to eat too much meat.  Or maybe you’ve driven across north Texas on Interstate 40 and stopped at The Big Texan, a steakhouse restaurant in Amarillo that advertises a 72 ounce steak – free if you can finish it!  That’s 2,041 grams!  No wonder they can make that offer; I’m guessing that few customers can actually finish it.  If you can’t finish it, you have to pay $ 72 – a dollar per ounce.  As many times as I’ve passed the place, I’ve never stopped; I can’t imagine getting back in the car and continuing the drive after even trying to consume over two kilos of steak.
          But perhaps the more important lesson from this reading, is the nature of human desire.  We need to learn that the desires of our hearts can be left unfulfilled – or gratification can be delayed – and it will not harm us.  For most of us, our parents served as the messengers of this lesson.  For that, we probably resented them…and unfairly so.  For the Israelites in the wilderness in this narrative of the Torah, it was God Himself who was the messenger.

          Some adults have had to re-learn the lesson.  I’ve met adults who act quite child-like in their pursuit of their desires.  This, even when such pursuit is at the expense of more important things.  When we are so hell-bent to get what we want, when we want it, we adults often lack someone to dispense that which we desire until it’s coming out of our noses.  Instead, we pursue it to the point where that pursuit causes us, and those closest to us, harm.  Sometimes grievous harm.  And that’s unfortunate – because it’s unnecessary.  Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment