Sunday, June 5, 2016

Counting the Omer: Sunday Night, 5 June 2016/29 Iyar 5776

Today is Day Two of Week Seven of the Omer.  That is Forty-four Days of the Omer.  The Theme is:  Seven Principles

We’re in the seventh and last week of Counting the Omer, and the last week of my offering daily thoughts.  Therefore, as I wrote yesterday, I’m going to use these days by going back to one of my favourite themes:  one which, since I learned it and adopted it in my own life, has been nothing short of life-changing in a very positive way.  And that is, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by the late Dr. Stephen CoveyFrom the title, and given the way that the literary world classifies it, one might think that Seven Habits is just another business, or self-help book.  To be sure it is both, but it is much, much more.  It is nothing short of a way of life, a way of looking at the things that we do – whatever our life’s endeavour – and making ourselves more effective by providing a structure within which we can inject our own core values into what we do.  The Seven Habits are intended to help us make systematic that which we cling to on a philosophical level.  As I wrote yesterday, my intent is not that this series of brief thoughts on the Habits would substitute for reading the book.  Rather, my prayer is that it would spur you to buy and read the book if you haven’t already.  And if you already have read it, that my thoughts would provide a little refresher to help you to re-centre your life around the Habits.  I am so completely sold on The Seven Habits, that I dedicated an entire High Holy Days Sermon Series to them.  If you’re interested, you can read them on this blog by looking in the archives for September 2013.
The Second Habit is Begin with the End in Mind.  Look, this Habit, like all the Habits, is not, as they say, ‘Rocket Science.’  The elegance of The Seven Habits is in their simplicity, the ease with which even I can look at them and ask, Why haven’t I been doing this all my life?  But the truth is that most of us have not being doing these things all our lives – not because they aren’t absolutely intuitive, rather because we allow ourselves to get sidestepped, our attentions diverted to other matters.  And that certainly would include this Second Habit.
How much energy have you wasted in your life, but just diving into a project without taking some time to visualise its final form, its outcome?  I know that I have, so I’m assuming you have also.  We fail to achieve our goals for a variety of reasons.  Sometimes, but less often than we claim, they were just beyond our reasonable capability.  Sometimes, we really had no strong commitment to the goal and therefore didn’t give it our all.  There are other possible reasons.  All of us have failed in something, and it is not a shame to fail.  Even the most successful people often fail at one endeavour or another.  But one reason, which is often to blame and which we can control far more easier than most, is that we spent time and energy flailing about rather than thinking out a plan and putting it into effect.
Begin with the End in Mind doesn’t mean that one must be a slave to one’s original plan.  Often circumstances will either come up or come to light having been present all along, that make sticking to the original plan a folly.  Of course we must see to our plans with the flexibility to adjust to unforeseen circumstances.  But if we didn’t have a solid plan that was focused on the desired results from the beginning, chances are we wasted time, energy and other resources.
The key, then is to make the best plan you can, but be ready to change if it makes sense to do so.  I can’t tell you how many times in my life, this Habit was served me well.  It will you, too.  Those who don’t grasp, or don’t embrace this Habit, find themselves constantly spinning their wheels.  I don’t know about you, but I just don’t think that I have the luxury of time to spend, spinning my wheels.  If I’m going to fail in something because I set my sights too high, or because I didn’t count on every possible impediment from the start, then if I’ve begun with the end in mind it is much easier to adjust along the way.

There’s an old cliché, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail and as with most clichés there is much truth in it.  And Begin with the End in Mind is related.  If we can visualise what the desired result would be, then we are in a better position to plan, and succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment