Thursday, April 7, 2016

From Impurity to Purity: A Reflection for Parashat Tazria, Saturday, 9 April 2016

When I retired from the US Air Force, Clara and I moved to Colorado Springs.  One of our first tasks was to enroll in health care in the new location.  We drove to the nearest military hospital, I filled out a form, and I paid a fee for the services that, free when I was in uniform, I would have to pay for every year now.
          Once we were enrolled, I made an appointment with my new primary health manager, or GP as they are known here in Australia, to organise ongoing support for conditions I already had.  When the day of my appointment came and I was in the doctor’s examination room, we addressed the issues one by one.  Finally, the doctor asked:  Anything else I can do for you today?
          Somewhat embarrassed to mention something that seemed so minor, I pointed out a rash I had on my body.  It was summer; I wondered out loud if it was just a heat rash.  But the doctor took a close look and opined that it was a skin infection.  He took a culture to have it looked at by the lab.  And he prescribed a course of antibiotics for me to start, just in case it did turn out to be an infection.  I stopped at the pharmacy desk to fill the prescription and began taking them.
          Two days later, I received a call from the nurse who had assisted the doctor.  There was concern in her voice.  She told me that the lab report on my culture showed that it was MRSA.  The doctor had already entered a substitute prescription, for a much more powerful antibiotic.  I should come in to the hospital at my first convenience, pick up the new medication, and start taking it.
          I’d heard of MRSA, which is a very powerful and even potentially deadly infection.  Shortly after the conversation I drove back to the hospital, got the tablets, and watched the infection carefully as it slowly subsided over the next days.
          There are many physical ailments that engender fear and loathing.  But except for cancer, perhaps none is as loathsome as an infection in the skin.  When sickness rages inside our bodies, we feel crummy.  For days and even weeks until it goes away entirely, we might feel out of sorts, listless, unsociable.  But apart from the ‘Big C,’ no ailment makes us feel as out of sorts as a serious skin infection.  We look at our affliction, out in the open for the eyes to see, cover it when possible with clothing, obsess over the unsightly evidence that our bodies are fighting the infection, and breathe a sigh of relief when it finally goes away.  And that’s for any infection.  How much more so, when it’s one that is not only potentially deadly, but a medical mystery as to its origins?
          The experience came to mind this week, when I reviewed our weekly Torah portion, Tazria.  As I mentioned last night, the reading opens in chapter 12 of Vayikra, with the prescription of circumcision on the eight day after birth.  And with the specifics on women’s purity rites.  In the 13th chapter, the text goes on to prescribe purity rites to follow whenever someone has an affliction which the text calls tsara’at.  Traditionally, this is translated as ‘leprosy,’ but that makes little to no sense.  In antiquity, someone afflicted with Hanson’s Disease, as leprosy later came to be called, was not expected to get over it, not in a matter of days or even at all.  But the rites prescribed here assume that the affliction is likely to go away, and relatively quickly.  And the symptoms described, seem to fit an ‘ordinary’ infection.  Given the expectation of a timely recovery, and the description of what it looks like, tsara’at is more likely a simple topical infection, then leprosy.
          As I think, and I know I’ve mentioned this more than once, there are always various ways to take the Torah’s pronouncements regarding various human ailments and the treatment it prescribes.  And the key to seeing G-d’s incredible wisdom reflected in the Torah, is to always remember that the Torah came to light 3,000 years ago.  Its wisdom it timeless, but its context is a particular era.
          It is not difficult to imagine the loathing that ancient men felt when viewing a skin eruption.  Even today, our instinct is to distance ourselves from someone else’s affliction of that kind, and hide our own.  So the idea of reacting to it by prescribing a period of separation from the camp, followed by a procedure for attaining ritual purity once it disappeared, makes sense.  It is a way of publicly acknowledging the people’s fear of the unknown, and providing a way for the community to be psychologically able to re-embrace the afflicted one afterwards.  In this context, we can once again embrace the Torah’s embrace of enabling the people Israel to heal the rifts in their society that result when the untoward occurs.
          Many of my colleagues in the Reform Rabbinate wince at the thought of trying to give a meaningful sermon on this week’s Torah portion, Tazria.  Even more so, if a family wants to schedule their child’s bar or bat mitzvah on the Shabbat when it is read, they will try to talk them into considering another date.  The idea of studying such a text, one on one with a 12-year-old gives them nightmares.  But in truth, there is nothing that should make us squeamish about confronting this text.  We do not read the Torah, strictly speaking, as a history book.  But there is no question that reading it gives us keen historical insights into the thoughts and concerns of our distant forebears.  And its solutions for various problems – G-d’s solutions – are always insightful to the human condition.  And often, in an elegant way. 

I guess it is a given that my MRSA passed.  Baruch Hashem.  I don’t mind telling you, it was a little frightening.  Last weekend on 60 Minutes, we watched the story about the footie Sam O’Sullivan who came down with a mysterious, flesh-muscle-eating infection, and how his medical team worried that they would not bring him through it alive.  They did bring him through it, and the story was about his brilliant recovery to play again where it had been doubtful he would even walk.  It’s an incredible story about the will of a champion to recover and move on.  Whilst it does not approximate my own experience with the mysterious MRSA, it brought back to mind the fears I felt at the time.  And this week’s Torah reading, brings to mind Hashem’s way of helping us cope when we experience something frightening and embarrassing.  And how it paves the way for our return to normalcy.  Shabbat shalom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment