Thursday, April 7, 2016

A Strange Law? A Reflection for Parashat Tazria, Friday, 8 April 2016

I like to tell the story of how, a lifetime ago, I found myself on the 1985 Mediterranean cruise of the USS Nimitz.  The Nimitz is a very famous ship.  She was not the first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier operated by the US Navy.  To the USS Enterprise goes that distinction.  But the name ‘Nimitz’ is famous the world over, because she was the lead ship in a class of ten.  The Nimitz herself entered service in 1975, and the final ship in the class, the USS George H.W. Bush, was commissioned only in 2009.
          I was therefore excited when my first aircraft carrier deployment turned out to be on such a famous ship.  During the cruise, we made a week’s port visit in Palma de Majorca, Spain.  On the last night in Palma, I joined a liberty party to one of those medieval banquets where there is jousting on horseback and rowdiness by the guests is allowed, even encouraged.  The next morning, as the ship weighed anchor, I found myself with a sore throat.  Thankfully I was aboard the Nimitz, whose sick bay is essentially a small hospital.
          Whilst waiting to be seen by the physician’s assistant who would give me something to soothe my sore throat, I noted a dozen or so sailors sitting on a row of benches in the waiting room.  They did not look happy.  In fact, they looked downright petrified.  When I was called into the examination room, I asked the PA taking my vital signs:  What gives with the guys in the waiting room, Sir?
          “Oh,” he replied nonchalantly. “It’s Tuesday, circumcision day.”
          Say what, Sir?  I said.
          The PA, a Chief Warrant Officer, explained.  Whilst on deployment, on Tuesday mornings the surgical staff does circumcisions for those requesting them.  And why would grown men be lining up to get circumcised?  Because their wives wanted them to.  As the ship was winding down her operational deployment, these sailors could be spared from their duties for a few days whilst they recovered.  And they would be fully healed by the time the ship reached Norfolk, and homecoming.
          I was gob smacked by the information.  And then the PA, a twinkle in his eyes, asked me:  Aren’t you glad you’re a Jew?
          Indeed.  I’d thought such thoughts, with reference to circumcision, before.  Two years earlier I arrived in Turkey for a one-year remote assignment in Sinop, a city on the Black Sea.  I arrived a few weeks before Ramadan.  Every night there were boys, dressed up like princes, being led through the streets on the backs of donkeys.  What is this all about?  I asked a friendly Turk.
          Sünnet, he replied, grinning.
          Out came the pocket dictionary.  Sünnet means ‘circumcision.’  And that’s how I was introduced to the Islamic custom of circumcising young boys not at the age of eight days as is our custom, but at the age of about 13 years.  Oy!
          And now, I was privy to a subculture of young married women who wanted their husbands, not having been circumcised at birth, to have it done whilst they were away on a Mediterranean deployment.
          In this week’s Torah reading, Tazria, in the 12th chapter of Vayikra, the law concerning circumcision on the eighth day of life is promulgated.  Anthropologists tell us that circumcision was – and still is – a common tribal practice in various parts of the world.  But amongst the aboriginal peoples who practice it, it is usually done to boys as part of their process of initiation into adulthood, to take their place among the tribe’s warriors.  On one hand it is a test – putting the boys through a painful ordeal to test their stoicism to endure it.  On the other hand, it is seen as preparing them for marriage and procreation, by placing a visible sign on their reproductive members.
          The Torah preserves the procedure of removing the foreskin, whilst changing it to a rite on the eighth day of life, unless medically contraindicated.  We’ll never know for sure the reason for the shift, but from the Torah we can draw inferences that hint at why.  Hashem created the world in six days, rested on the seventh, and then on the eighth day it was man’s turn to take up the task and finish the work.  Oh, not the work of the physical world; that was done!  But the building of a just society, a place where G-d’s Glory would shine through the human race reaching for its destiny.  G-d’s sanctuary was inaugurated on the eighth day of its completion, after a series of purification rites to make it ‘fit’ for its holy work.
          Finally, the men of the tribe of Levi who were the direct descendants of Aaron, were chosen to be G-d’s priests, to serve in on behalf of all Israel.  
Given all this, circumcision on the eighth day begins to make sense.  As the Aaronic priests served on behalf of Israel, Israel serves as a nation of priests, a holy people, chosen to serve humanity.  Circumcision, performed on the eighth day, was the sign that the Israelites were set apart for this service.  Even from infancy, the sign of this setting apart was inscribed in their flesh.
          And what about the female children of Israel?  Why was there no parallel to male circumcision for the females?  We do know that there are tribal cultures where a ‘female circumcision’ is practiced.  Most of the Western World decries this, properly, as genital mutilation.  But since we don’t practice it, what special rite sets the women of Israel apart from other women?
          The answer is also found in this week’s Torah reading.  The cycles of tumah and taharah, impurity and purity.  Prescribed for women from the start of reproductive age, they serve as women’s ‘mark’ serving the same function of ensuring their ritual fitness for their role in propagating the Torah on Earth.  The doubling of the period after giving birth to an infant female might be seen as a harbinger of the purity rites that will pass to that child at the onset of her menses.  But a variant opinion is that the period is not doubled after the birth of a female.  Rather, it is halved after the birth of a male, to enable the mother to witness the circumcision ritual for her son.  We’ll never know which it is.  But the women’s rites of purification – after birth, and after marriage – are every bit as powerful as the permanent mark in the bodies of the men of Israel.  
          But back to the eighth day circumcision.  The first time I crashed a circumcision party in Turkey and saw the suffering of the boy, I thanked my lucky stars I’d been born a Jew.  Likewise, that morning after sailing from Majorca on the USS Nimitz, when I saw those grown men waiting with great trepidation for their turn at the knife.  Years later, when my son was born and we inaugurated him into the Covenant of Abraham as an infant, I winced at his reaction to the scalpel.  But intellectually I knew that we were subjecting him to only a tiny portion of the pain that I’d seen boys of 13 in Turkey, and grown men on the Nimitz, endure.
          And there’s the medical evidence that the eighth day is the ideal time for circumcision.  It is just after the blood normally develops it ability to clot and thus lessen the danger of a catastrophic bleed.  And it is just before the nerves develop to the point where they transmit pain from a surgery done without anesthesia.

          I know, I know!  Last week I cautioned against drawing a rationale for kashrut from its various benefits.  And here I am today, apparently ‘selling’ the eighth-day circumcision, in part, on the strength of its medical basis.  I’m really not.  I’m just trying to remind us that the Torah is full of the most sublime wisdom.  And perhaps, revealed the squeamishness I felt as a man, when exposed to the idea of circumcision as a teenager, or as an adult.  Shabbat shalom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment