Thursday, January 29, 2015

When You Believe: A Drash for Shabbat Shirah, Friday 30 January 2015

Ever seen Jews march in such an orderly fashion?
I haven't...
I like to tell about how my faith developed.  I started out as an absolute rationalist.  To me, ‘faith’ was not about belief at all, but about intellect.  ‘Jewish Faith’ meant having enough of a grasp of the principles, philosophies, and history of Judaism, to where one could participate with competence.  And speak with authority.
          Along the way, experiences added to make me understand that it’s not all rational.  There were many stages along the way.
          Once, a Christian colleague, a female evangelical pastor, reminded me of Genesis 15.6:  Abraham believed Hashem, and he credited it to him as righteousness.  In other words, belief = righteousness.  We had been having a discussion, okay perhaps an argument, about the centrality of faith.
          I dismissed my colleague’s point.  The Hebrew ‘he’emin,’ in my colleague’s NIV Bible as ‘believed’ more properly means, ‘was faithful’ as in ‘was steadfast.’  I felt really clever.  In retrospect, I should have felt glib.
          Because ‘he’emin’ really does mean ‘he believed.’  There is righteousness in belief.  But in our rationalism we are so afraid of irrational faith that we rebel against the idea.  Judaism is not a religion that requires irrational faith of us.
          And I stand by that view.  But just because something isn’t rational, does not mean that it is irrational.  The opposite of rational is arational.  This isn’t semantics.  Irrational means contrary to rational.  That is, in opposition of that rationality might argue.  Arational on the other hand, simply means, not dependent on rationality.  And that’s a big difference.  Jewish faith is never irrational.  But it is often arational.
There is a delightful, and instructional, midrash on this week’s Torah portion.  This week’s portion is Beshallach, in which appears the Song of the Sea.  This is the Israelites’ song, celebrating their rescue when the Red Sea parted for them yet closed in on the pursuing Egyptians.  We’re very familiar with a couple of lines of the song, because we sing them in every service:  Mi chamocha b’eilim Adoshem; Mi kamocha nedar bakodesh; Adoshem yimlock le’olam va’ed.
Well, the midrash tells us that the Israelites stood at the shore of the sea looking at the deep before them, aware of the advancing Egyptians, and despaired.  But one man, Nachshon ben Aminadav, had the faith to step into the waters.  And when he did – only when he did – the sea parted for the Israelites to pass through.
There are a number of important lessons to be learned from this midrash.  For one, Hashem provides miracles, but it is not until we recognize and accept them, that they do us any good.  This reminds me of the story of the man who drowned in the floodwaters when Hurricane Katrina drowned New Orleans.  First there was ample warning over the radio and television, not to mention loudspeaker trucks cruising around the city’s residential neighbourhoods advising residents to evacuate.  But this man did not.  “G-d will save me,” he said.  When the floodwaters began rising, the Coast Guard came around in a boat, urging residents to hop aboard and be saved. “G-d will save me,” the man said.  As the waters continued to rise, an Army helicopter came around looking for people to save.  The man did not signal for the helicopter. “G-d will save me,” he said.  Finally, the waters completely engulfed his house.  As he was about to drown, he upbraided G-d. “Why didn’t You save me??!” he demanded.  And G-d answered with a shrug: “I sent you advance warnings.  Then I sent you a boat.  Then I sent you a helicopter.  What else was I supposed to do??!”
Jewish audiences love this story, because it points out that faith, in the end, is rational.  But what it also points out is that, at some point, you have to believe.  You have to believe that G-d will save you.  Only then will you be ready to recognise and accept salvation when it comes.  The man in the story, although he kept repeating “G-d will save me,” didn’t really believe it.
It’s like in the 21st chapter of Genesis, where Hagar is despairing because her son, Ishmael is about to die of thirst in the desert.  The Torah tells us that Hashem opened her eyes, and she saw a nearby spring whose water kept them alive.  The implication is that the spring was there all the time.  Hagar only had to have enough faith to actually see it, for it to save them.
When the movie The Prince of Egypt came out, I like many others watched in wonderment as our Jewish story came alive in a big-budget animated production on the big screen.  But some of my more-rationally minded colleagues felt the need to nitpick the film.  Among the parts they didn’t like was the central song, When You Believe, which later became a hit recorded by Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey.  There can be miracles when you believe, to some rabbis, was not only simplistic but smacked of Christian faith more than Jewish.  Whilst the debate raged, I felt a bit self-conscious.  I’d been moved by hearing the little girl sing sweetly ashira ladoshem ki ga-oh ga’ah / Mi chamocha ba’eilim Adoshem / Mi kamocha nedar bakodesh.  Wow!  I’d thought.  The entire world is hearing the words of our central text, sung in Hebrew on the big screen.  I’d been so moved that the theological difficulties of the song went right over my head!

But of course, there were no theological difficulties presented by the song.  If it resonated, that’s because it should!  There can be miracles when we believe.  If we refuse to believe, we close ourselves off to the miracles that surround us.  Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment