Thursday, January 15, 2015

Je Suis…Qui? A Drash for Friday, 16 January 2015

My blog has been quiet for several weeks as I've been on holiday.  I offer you the following thoughts for this week...

Muslim Terrorist after shooting spree at Charlie Hebdo
Being a rabbi is similar to other occupations, in that there are specific tasks I’m called upon to do that are easy.  There are other tasks that are difficult.  And there are still other tasks that are downright impossible.
          The impossible tasks mostly have to do with bringing comfort to people in extreme situations.  How is it possible, for example, to bring comfort to someone who has just lost a revered parent or a beloved spouse or partner?  It can be utterly impossible.  And if so, how much more impossible to bring comfort when a parent has to bury their child?  When faced with such a task, I pray for words that will bring comfort.  But usually, the best that I can offer is a pathetic, “I’m sorry.”
          Another impossible task is to bring comfort or meaning when a public act of evil brings death and suffering.  An example was when I stood before my congregation at the US Air Force Academy on Rosh Hashanah in the year 2001.  It was only six days after the attacks of September 11th 2001.  I had completed my sermons for all the services weeks earlier.  I’m guessing they were good sermons; I’m told that I’m not a bad preacher!  But I have no memory as to what they said.  My congregation never even heard them.  Instead I stood, dumbfounded as to what I might say to bring some sense to the events of the previous week.  I asked my congregants’ forgiveness for my inadequacy, and I then offered them a chance to vent their own feelings.  And then I continued with the service, asking G-d to give us a repentant heart that we might find renewal in that difficult time.
          This week might have been another such occasion.  Last week, whilst Clara and I were in Colorado, another act of terror shook the world.  Everybody knows the sequence of events.  On Wednesday morning, two Muslim terrorists killed 12 innocent people in and around the offices of the weekly satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, meaning ‘Charlie Weekly,’ in Paris.  By the time the drama reached its conclusion on Friday afternoon, 17 innocents were dead including four patrons at a crowded kosher supermarket in central Paris.
          As I said, this might have been one of those occasions when I had little or nothing to say.  This is the first Shabbat in Australia, since the violent conclusion of the Paris massacres.  But it wasn’t really a shock.  It came only weeks after the December Martin Place killings in Sydney.  And in the wake of numerous atrocities committed in recent months by ISIS in Syria and Iraq, and Boko Harem in Nigeria.  And the attack on the Jewish museum in Belgium, back in May.
          I don’t have any words of comfort tonight, but perhaps I can help make sense of what is happening in the world.  I can only cry “Nonsense!” to the notion that anything that any of the victims did, caused the violent attacks.  So what that the cartoonists at Charlie Hebdo lampooned the Prophet Muhamad and various Islamic leaders?  That’s why they died a violent death?  Did any of the four victims of the Hyper-Cacher siege draw cartoons insulting to Muslims?  No, the only thing they were drawing was breath, until their lives were snuffed out.  Their only ‘offence’ was that they were Jews. 
We have to stop drawing these false cause-and-effect relationships regarding Muslim terror.  We must recognize them for what they are.  They are part of a long campaign by elements of Islam, to conquer and subdue the Western countries that have given them sanctuary.
          Pope Francis disappointed me when he equivocated on the Charlie Hebdo killings.  He condemned them, but then he softened the condemnation by criticising Charlie’s lampooning of Muhamad.  This Pope has been lauded for many words and acts in his short tenure as pontiff.  But here, he missed an opportunity to offer moral clarity. As did Muslim leaders, failing to effectively counter the fulminations of the clerics who warned of additional violence if the mocking of Muhamad doesn’t stop.
Should we look upon all Muslims with suspicion, hold them at arm’s length?  No.  But in any case, holding them at arm’s length would be redundant in that the Muslims in Australia tend mostly to keep to themselves.  And that’s unfortunate.
          I’ve had a few close associations with a few Muslims since 9-11.  When they complained to me about Muslims and Islam being largely mis-understood by their neighbours, I told them as gently as I could that to stop playing the victim.  Stop denying that in Islam there is a hatred of the West even whilst enjoying its freedom and prosperity.  Muslims might encourage one another to forge close associations with their non-Muslim neighbours.  And ask for help in learning the ways of the host society.  And be ready and willing to condemn elements in Islam which commit atrocities.  During the Martin Place siege I thought about how powerful it might have been if Muslims had spontaneously gathered on the street outside the Lindt Café – or as close as the police would have allowed them – holding signs saying “Not in My Name.”  There are Muslims who speak out.  But there are not enough.  And sometimes, too often, they sound less than unequivocal.
          Yes, that’s a big responsibility to ask of everyday Muslims.  Not everybody is up to it.  But think of what a powerful witness it would be.  And think of the confidence it would help foster, iff it were combined with more conversations and interactions with their non-Muslim neighbours.
          What a gesture it would be if we, as a group, would reach out in friendship to a Muslim congregation in our city.  I hesitate to ask us to, only because our group is small and lacks self-confidence at this point.  But imagine how powerful it would be!  I can tell you that just ‘up the road’ from us, in Toowoomba, there is a lot of reaching out across religious lines, and it serves that city well.  How much better a place the Gold Coast would be if it were happening here as well.

          Last week, in the wake of the death and destruction visited upon their city, Parisians began appearing in public loudly proclaiming, and wearing buttons, saying “Je suis Charlie”; I am Charlie.  The cry was taken up outside France, notably among certain Hollywood personalities.  At a mass rally in Paris on Sunday, the buttons were very much in evidence.  It would have been nice see a significant contingent of Muslims at the rally, wearing the buttons.  There were too few.  It would have been nice to also see buttons proclaiming, “Je Suis Hyper-cacher.”  The attack on Charlie Hebdo, reveals the intolerance of much of the Muslim world.  The attack on Hyper-cacher reveals its anti-Semitism.  An opportunity to proclaim a different course, was lost.  Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment