Thursday, October 10, 2013

Drash for Friday Evening, Shabbat Lech Lecha

 Go Forth

Do you remember the dreams and aspirations that drove you when you were growing up?  I remember vividly daydreaming about my future when I was a child.  And in all the dreams I remember, I pictured my future, adult life as large and significant.  Even though my parents’ accomplishments were nothing that great, I remember being caught up in a mindset that anything was possible.  When my siblings, my friends and I shared our dreams for our futures, there was never any marginality in them.  We dreamt big:  big accomplishment, big material wealth, big satisfaction.  The hallmark of my generation was the notion that we could ‘have it all.’  The lives, upon which we were then embarking were lives of promise.  Lives of adventure.  Lives whose conclusion could not be predicted.
Two weeks ago, I spoke about the idea that just as God at some point began creating the world from stuff which was already there, at some point He began creating the person I would become from the stuff that was already there.  And of course, I was only using myself as an example – the one example that I know most intimately! – to make the point that God creates of each one of us a unique person.  Every one of us is touched by the Creator, and not just in the sense that the life-force is breathed into us.  Each one of us is given the unique message that, if heeded, will result in a life which fulfils his or her potential.  Each one of us receives a Calling.  And that calling, as given to Abram, is summed up in the opening words of this week’s Torah reading.  Lech Lecha.
Lech lecha.  Go thee forth.  Go for yourself.  To put it differently:  Get the heck out of dodge.  Because Abram’s unique calling required that he separate himself from his parents and his parents’ way of life.  It could not have been fulfilled in the place where he was then living, the great city of Ur.  It required a relocation to a new land.  There are several reasons floated as to why, but mainly what Abram was to accomplish required his leaving the familiar environment.
Each one in turn is given the message of lech lecha.  And each message is unique, yet there are common themes that unite many of our quests.  Not every one of us must cross over to a new land.  Many of us are given a calling that does not require our physical relocation.  Some of us are able to move into the me we are to become without a long physical journey.  On the other hand, for many of us the journey to our destiny does involve a long journey.  When I think of some of you and how you came to be living in Australia, I hear the strains of lech lecha. 
Because we have a tendency to take the Torah literally – if at all – we often have a hard time relating to the experiences of the important figures who loom large in the narrative.  Probably few of us have ever experienced such a clear-cut message as the one represented as emanating from God to Abram personally.  Get out of your land, your home, your inheritance, and get yourself to a place that I will show you.  And there you shall be a great and mighty nation and a blessing to all humanity.  We read these words and we do internalise that the Torah is asserting that Abram’s call came in this way verbatim.  Well I’m here to tell you that it didn’t.  It came, written on the slip of paper in the fortune cookie in a Chinese restaurant.
Okay, of course it didn’t come via fortune cookie!  But maybe the message was still a bit subtle.  Maybe it came in a dream or perhaps in a feeling that suddenly washed over him, such that he experienced it as God’s true message.  Maybe it was ‘delivered’ in the voice of someone close to him, who said something audacious in which he received his calling.
That’s how I received my calling to the rabbinate.  A rabbi friend, at whose home I was spending the weekend, looked at me thoughtfully across the breakfast table.  And then he said:  So, Levy, when are you going to stop screwing around with your life and become a rabbi?  Now I was, at that moment, a little more than halfway through a military career.  Military careerists, when they pass the tenth anniversary of their service, tend to begin imagining what they will do ten years down the road when they finally retire.  If they’ve got their act together, they’ll decide early and start preparing for it.  I had already thought about what I would want to do after the military.  Rabbi had been one possibility I’d thought about, but I hadn’t up to that point done anything to research it.  This was, after all, before Google!
But when my friend posed his audacious question, I just knew that I was supposed to become a rabbi.  The message was so clear to me, that I was unable to fight it.
Some of you once received a message of similar clarity, and you heeded it.  Or perhaps you didn’t.  Perhaps it doesn’t satisfy each one of us intellectually to receive a message in such a way and to hear it as authentic.  Or perhaps the content of the message we received was not what we’d hoped to receive.  So we fought it.
One of our families here tells of how they happened to come to Australia when they knew they had to leave Egypt.  After being educated in England, they felt the best bet was a Commonwealth country, and they went to make an enquiry at the Canadian embassy.  The Canadians didn’t have the time to talk to them.  Then on impulse they happened into the adjacent Australian legation and asked if anybody could talk to them about relocation to Australia.  Not only did the Australians have time for them, the ambassador himself had time to sit with them.  When that happened, they knew they were supposed to come to Australia.  Perhaps they don’t see God’s hand in all this.  After all, it was not an overtly ‘religious’ message.  Or was it?  Move to Australia, because that’s where you will fulfil your destiny.  I suppose that there is nothing overtly religious in that message.  But I think it is a mistake to divide the realms of ‘religion’ and ‘secular.’  If we are religious on some level, then ideally there is no such division between the compartments of our lives.  To put it differently; if we believe in God, why would we believe that God only cares what we do when in the synagogue?  Would He not have a stake in all the aspects of our lives?  If so, then why would God not charge us with decisions that are not ‘overtly’ religious after all, the major decisions we make, even when religion is not a particular consideration in making those decisions, do impact the identifiably ‘religious’ aspects of our lives.
So each one of us, in a way that is uniquely individual, receives God’s summons.  And it is our challenge to listen for God’s voice in whatever means he uses.  And to recognise the truth of that calling we’re given.  And take it seriously.  And allow it to excite and motivate us.
The Torah is the blueprint for Jewish life.  Within its text we find the wisdom that establishes the rhythms of Jewish life.  Within it we also find the teaching of moral and ethical principles.  But just because we have the Torah doesn’t mean we should discount that each one of us is given a unique destiny to fulfil.  And the calling to that destiny can be delivered by any method, and through the agency of any individual.  Mine came over the breakfast table from a rabbi friend.  Abram’s came in the fortune cookie at a Chinese restaurant.  Okay, maybe not!  We’re not told what media was used.  But we are told Abram’s reaction.  He accepted his calling.  He went forth.  May each one of us be listening for the voice that will deliver our own calling.  And when we recognise it, may we too have the courage to go forth.
How many of you, young and full of the promise of life, knew that you would need a larger place in order to live a larger life?  How many of you made decisions that changed the course of your lives, that were entirely out of character with the plans you’d been making up until then?  How many of you, having a sudden clarity of your destiny, not only changed course but did so with an incredible confidence?  I’m guessing that many of you did.
As a child growing up in Miami, I had no idea I would spend years in the shadowy world of military cryptology.  And then more years in the world of Jewish faith and practice.  Had someone told me I would live in Turkey, Greece, Israel, Great Britain, Germany, and Australia along the way, I would not have believed them.  Me!!?  I hardly stray from home.  I’m not the kind to globe-trot.  But I did.

Most of us in this room tonight are not in the springtime of our lives.  We do not have out entire lives ahead of us.  But we do have the rest of our lives.  In other words, our adventure is not yet over.  There is more to unfold, and nobody can predict exactly how it will unfold.  My recommendation?  Listen for that voice telling you what might be in store.  Whether it comes from a rabbi friend.  Or a fortune cookie.  Okay, probably not a fortune cookie!  Still, one never can know.  Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment