Thursday, October 2, 2014

Waddaya Got to Lose? A Drash for Yom Kippur Closing Service 2014

I have a confession to make.  Ready to hear it?  I play the lotto.  Yes, I know that the lotto is declassé.  It’s supposed to be an affectation of the uneducated.  Everybody knows that your odds of winning the lotto are so small as to be statistically meaningless.  And yet, I buy a ticket now and then.
A quick pick.  I don’t even play numbers that are especially meaningful to me.  I ask for a mini quick pick, fork over my seven dollars and change, and a few seconds later I take the ticket.  Not every week; sometimes I forget or I am nowhere near the newsagent’s on Tuesday, the day of the Oz Lotto.  There’s a lotto every day of the week, but the Tuesday Oz Lotto is the one I like.  Why?  Because it has the cheapest quick pick.  Seven dollars and change is enough for me.  If I’m not mistaken a quick pick for most of the other days’ games is $11. 
So once a fortnight or so, I remember when I’m at the shopping centre.  And I buy one.  Even though I know it’s almost impossible to win.  But the truth is: Waddaya got to lose?
Waddaya got to lose indeed?  Seven dollars?  If I drop seven dollars for the lotto, it doesn’t mean my important bills aren’t going to get paid.  It doesn’t mean I won’t be able to retire when the time comes.  It won’t jeopardise my children’s education.  It might take the money I would have spent on a couple of ice creams whilst out and about.  And though I do love a nice creamy Magnum Classic now and then, I’m willing to sacrifice a couple per fortnight for the little thrill of playing the lotto.
Yes, it is a thrill of sorts.  The day after the draw, if I can, I get myself down to the newsagent’s, take the ticket out of my wallet, and insert it in the scanner device wondering what would be the reaction if I were the multi-million dollar winner.  Would it be bells and whistles?  Most times, the machine tells me, predictably:  Not a winning ticket.  But who knows?  Maybe someday!
Sometimes, I don’t get around to checking the ticket for a day or two.  On those occasions, I joke with Clara whilst driving around that I might be sitting on a couple million or whatever the jackpot was that week.  Okay, so I shouldn’t hold my breath that I’m going to win…but this little thrill and entertainment is worth the seven dollars.  Waddaya got to lose?
I think Wadday got to lose is a good watchword, a good mantra to remember when taking little chances on doing little things that, like holding a winning lotto ticket, could very well result in big gains.
I counselled a young officer once whilst I was a chaplain stationed in Germany.  He had just been promoted to Major, and I gave the invocation at his promotion ceremony.  A couple of weeks later, the guy came into my office to talk.  He was having tensions with his wife.  As happens to so many married couples over time, they had drifted into a matter-of-fact relationship where there was little overt affection for one another.
The young man told me that his wife had complained that he didn’t show affection in the ‘little ways’ that would make a difference with her.  Such as, for example bringing home flowers now and then to show his appreciation for her.  So I decided to play devil’s advocate.  Why not bring home flowers once a week or so?  I asked him.
“Well,” he replied immediately without having to stop to think, as if he’d already thought this through. “She might not appreciate the gesture in the end.  After all, she herself suggested it.  She might think it insincere.”
It didn’t take me long to react to the man’s logic.  “Waddaya got to lose?”  I asked him.  “What’s the risk if you buy flowers, and she reacts in that way?”  (BTW, and I didn’t tell him this, I thought this possibility was quite far-fetched in any case.)
“What do you mean, what’s the risk?” he asked me.
“What did you lose if she thinks your gesture insincere?” I clarified. “The price of the flowers?  The ten minutes if took you to make the extra stop on the way home?”
“Yeah, I guess so,” he said after a moment’s thought.
“So this risk is ten minutes of your time, and fifteen dollars,” I said, since that’s how much a bouquet of flowers cost then, at the little flower stand in the Base Exchange. “She might not appreciate the gesture.  So you lost fifteen dollars.  I happen to know that you just got promoted to Major.  Fifteen dollars on a Major’s salary – especially since you have no kids – is a pretty small risk.”  Waddaya got to lose, indeed?
We do that, you know?  I don’t mean avoiding bringing home flowers.  I mean, we take small risks where the potential gain is huge, if unlikely.  Seven dollars for a quick pick.  But on the other hand, we’re less inclined to take similarly-small risks when the potential gain is far more likely.  Fifteen dollars for a bouquet of flowers.  And it’s far more likely that the investment will yield a desirable outcome, than when buying a lotto ticket.  Think about it.
Right now, we are in waning hours of the one day that could be called the religious climax of the year for us Jews.  The sands of time are spilling through the hourglass.  Soon Yom Kippur 5775 will be but a memory.  Soon we’ll be standing around at the break-the-fast, enjoying a morsel of food and a laugh with our friends.  The day that many Jews consider to be the most spiritually challenging – and most spiritually important – will be over for another year.  Some of you will avoid coming to shule regularly until the next important holiday.  Some of you will feel a bit of burn out.  Some of you, while you continue to come regularly, will come in such a mindset that you will not be spiritually moved for some time.  For all of the above, I have a question.  Waddaya got to lose?
What if you made a personal commitment to celebrate Shabbat in a deeper fashion every week for the next year?  What if you committed to keeping your Friday evenings free to celebrate the onset of Shabbat with your community here?  And to keep everyday concerns and tasks from encroaching on the rest of the Day of Rest?  Since we don’t have a Shabbat morning service at this time, how about responding to Karen who is looking for the level of commitment to a morning service, that yes, you are ready to commit for starters to one Saturday morning per month?  And then, when your commitment and that of others in this room results in such a service being offered, follow through and participate.  Waddaya got to lose?  A couple hours of your time and whatever it was that you might otherwise have been doing then.  For the possibility of gaining what?  Well, in all honesty I think the potential gain in the uplift you might receive is so huge that it is well worth risking what you might have done with a couple hours of your time on Saturday morning.
Another example.  In this week’s congregational newsletter, you’ll be informed that I am going to start a (Re-)Discovering Judaism class starting this month.  It will meet Tuesday evenings at my new home.  Soon afterward, a basic Hebrew reading class will be offered for those of you who never learned or who need remedial instruction.  Waddaya got to lose?  The two combined, will cost you three hours per week of your time to attend class, and a couple or three more hours for the reading and other preparation.  And a few dollars of your cash.  And for what potential gain?  That of being a literate and knowledgeable Jew.  Look, we all acknowledge that our religious tradition is a very complex construct of texts, ideas, history and culture.  Most of us, whatever our religious upbringing, at some point feel inadequately prepared to participate fully.  And if you’re interested in converting, the classes will propel you towards that goal.  That’s a small risk, for a substantial potential gain.
And the likelihood of your realizing that gain, is far more than the likelihood of winning the lotto.  I’m not asking for a show of hands, but I’m guessing I’m not the only one in this room who buys a chance at the lotto now and then.  Okay, I know I’m not the only one!  It’s a small risk for a great potential gain, even if the odds are infinitesimally small.  
The likelihood of significant gain from making a deeper and more literate Jewish life, is really more in line with the likelihood of hitting pay dirt when bringing flowers home.  Let me ask you…how many of you bring home flowers for the Significant Other in your lives?  And how often, compared to how often you buy a chance at lotto?  No show of hands, thank you just the same.  But I have to admit on this score.  Chatanu lefanecha rachem aleinu.  I have sinned before You, please have mercy upon me.  Okay, I know flowers are more expensive now then they were a decade ago at the BX in Germany.  But still…the risk is pretty small because the odds of not bearing fruit are much better than your odds of winning the lotto.
And what about the odds of gaining something significant from an increase of time and effort in your Jewish life?  To the point of attending Friday evening regularly, trying to clear the decks for a relaxing Shabbat, committing to one Saturday morning per month, and attending a few classes.  Okay, if you did all those things it would be a bigger investment than buying a quick pick once a fortnight or so.  But your odds of gaining something significant are much, much greater.  And frankly, what you might gain is far better than a paltry million dollars or two.  Far more transformative.
This is a good time to think about it and consider making such a commitment.  Now, as the sun sinks toward the western horizon and one more Yom Kippur comes to its conclusion.  Waddaya got to lose?  Indeed, not much.  And you’ve got so much to gain.  G’mar chatimah tovah.  May your final destiny be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment