Thursday, October 9, 2014

Practice a Little Timtzum: A Drash for Friday, 10 October 2014

Last night I went to a ukulele group that I haven’t played with in a few months.  At one point, Stu, the group leader called me forward to play and sing at the microphone in front of the group.  Familiar with my baritone voice, he wanted it behind the lead singer for a particular number.  But I didn’t really want to get up; I was happy to play from my seat in the front row.
          “C’mon, don’t be shy!” he coaxed.
          If you know me, you know that I’m not shy.  But I was simply happy to sing from my seat, I assured Stu that I would be heard since I project nicely, and we proceeded to sing the number.
          Driving home later in the evening, I thought about why I’d been happy to stay in my seat and not get up to the mic.  I was, in reality, practicing a principle called tsimtsum.  The principle is from Kabbalah, and the closest English translation of the term would be something like ‘self-diminution.’
          The principle comes to explain why G-d is not always immediately discernable through our senses, why G-d chooses to dwell only in the spirit realm.  If G-d inhabited the material world as a physical being, He would so fill the world that there would be no room for us, humanity, to act independently and of our free will.  And that would not be a good thing, since we’re supposed to have free will.  In fact, where we’re told in Genesis 1:27 that we are made ‘in the image of G-d,’ our tradition understands that phrase to mean that we, like G-d, have free will and knowledge of good and bad.  This, in contrast to our close cousins, the animals.  Whilst we share certain characteristics with the animals – with some species more than with others – animals do not have the same moral agency.
          So in order for us to not be completely overwhelmed by G-d’s Presence, G-d practices tsimtsum, self-diminution to give us space to develop our own moral agency.
          Since I learned the principle whilst in school, I’ve tried to practice tsimtsum during the course of my rabbinate.  It’s not that I’m comparing myself to G-d, lehavdil!  But a rabbi’s presence can be overwhelming to others at times.  As a result, in the interests of bringing out others’ talents and abilities, I’ve made it my habit to practice tsimtsum, to try to avoid asserting myself when such assertion is unnecessary.  That way, other Jews can feel that their own talents and abilities are a cherished and necessary part of the mix.  The goal is that my congregation would not be a congregation of spectators, but rather of congregation of doers.  By stepping back to allow others to express themselves, I believe I provide the space for others to develop…and that’s important.
          As in the rabbinate, so too in the ‘real world’!   I’ve learned that many of the roles I ‘play’ call for a bit of tsimtsum to allow others to develop their talents and abilities.  Whether it is the role of husband, father, son, or friend, the principle is the same.  Sometimes, it’s important to speak up when you’re convinced that you’re right.  But sometimes it’s important to give others the space they need to figure things out for themselves.  Probably the ‘role’ in which this is most important is that of parent.  When you have growing children on the cusp of adulthood, it is important to give them space to make their own decisions, even if they make decisions with which you, the parent, disagree.
          So tsimtsum is an important principle, not just for those of us who toil in the rabbinate, but for everybody.  In the course of our lives, each one of us comes upon situations where a little tzimtsum, applied at the proper time, will help someone else – more than giving them advice or doing it for them would help.
          Perhaps one can find that message in the festival of Sukkot, which we’re celebrating this week and next.  One of the principle themes of the holiday, is G-d’s protective care over us.  And yet…observance of the holiday requires that we break out our inner builder and erect a sukkah, a temporary shelter that alludes to the moveable tents of the Israelites in the wilderness of Sinai, as well as to a farmer’s harvest shelter.  Either symbolic allusion, indicates that G-d’s protecting care requires that we take some initiative and effort.  Likewise, for us to learn and grow, requires initiative and effort.  And if we’re cast in the role of teacher or leader, we sometimes have to practice a little tsimtsum – to let someone else take the initiative and make the decisions – that they would be able to learn and grow.  It’s an important lesson – and for some of us, a difficult one – to learn.

          Just as G-d practices tsimtsum to keep us from overwhelmed by His Presence, we should learn to practice tsimtsum so that we can prevent ourselves from stunting the growth of others.  And what about my ukulele group?  I remained in my seat, for a change enjoying not being the featured ‘performer,’ and the group did just fine on the number.  Let’s make sure that we learn to keep our own presences within limits that, for those with whom we work, are manageable.  Shabbat Shalom and Chag Sameach!

No comments:

Post a Comment