Thursday, March 31, 2016

You Are What You Eat: A Reflection for Parashat Shemini, Friday 1 April 2016

Everybody who isn’t Jewish but knows anything about the Jewish religion, generally knows two facts regarding its positive requirements for its members.  One, that it requires its members to circumcise their male children.  And two, that it forbids its members to eat certain foods.  Beyond these two facts, many gentiles ‘know’ different things about Judaism and Jews, some of which are accurate and many of which are erroneous.  But regarding the ‘Top Two,’ which are of course accurate, most folks are aware.
          Regarding kashrut, the term for the overall system of dietary laws, many Jews and gentiles are aware that certain species are off the plate according to Jewish law.  Most likely, they are aware of the Torah’s aversion to Jews eating the meat of the swine.  (Notice I don’t say ‘pork’ like most people.  I like the sinister sound of ‘swine’…it better conveys some rationale for the ban!)  Until Clara and I first came to Australia, we never felt the equally adamant ban on shellfish.  Oh, we’ve lived in places where shellfish are popular.  But outside of Louisiana, where I had a student pulpit one year, we have never been in a place where the eating of
Shellfish so defines a people’s culture as it does in Australia.  Don’t get me wrong; Americans generally like their shrimp.  But not until we came to Australia, did we see the idea of eating little marine bugs elevated virtually to the status of religion.  And where buying, cooking, and eating prawns is an important ritual in several national holidays.  I’m not complaining, mind you…just observing!
            In the second year I was in Australia, a lady rang me and asked me to speak at the annual food festival in Maleny, in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland.  The woman, a Jew who had been part of the organising committee for this festival for a number of years, decided that this particular year she would include a symposium on Food and Spirituality.  Even though the festival took place at a very busy time for me, the weekend between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, I decided to agree to speak.  The topic, and its inclusion in the program, intrigued me.  Interestingly, I was interviewed for no fewer than three radio programmes in the weeks leading up to the festival.  The curiosity concerning this small part of the festival, was interesting to me.
          I shared the panel with a Buddhist nun and an Aboriginal ‘holy woman.’  I was the first to speak.  I opened my talk – humorously, I thought at the time – by stating up front that the Jewish dietary practices forbid the consumption of prawns, kangaroo, imu, and crocodile…so pity the poor Australian Jew.  And then, of course, I proceeded to tell the audience about the long list of species that Jews can eat…and what are the criteria for inclusion or exclusion.
          The Aboriginal woman spoke next, and the first thing she said was the Jewish dietary laws, point to its being an imported, non-native tradition in Australia since it excludes most native species from the diet.  Then she launched into a 20-minute diatribe about how white people have ruined ‘her’ land.  During the Q & A, someone challenged her about her not addressing the connection between food and spirituality.  She thought for a moment, then responded plaintively:  My spirit is too broken, for me to think of spirituality!
          Regarding the Buddhist nun’s talk, I couldn’t hear or understand a word of what she said in her 20-minute mumble.  And I was even wearing my hearing aids!
          Many Jews, in trying to understand the laws of kashrut, try to assign various rationales to the system.  It’s hygienic, say some, pointing to the exclusion of various species that are considered amongst the filthiest animals in the realm.  But a someone I knew, who kept both chooks and pigs on his farm, once told me that the former – allowed under kashrut – were no cleaner then the latter – not allowed.  It has to do with humane treatment of animals, say others, pointing to the need to kill the animal almost instantly in a manner which will avoid making it suffer overly in dying.  But none of the kosher meat available here in Australia is certified free-range or cage-free.  If kashrut were really about humane treatment, wouldn’t today’s kosher authorities, at least talk about banning cage and stall-raised animals and eggs?  One would think, but…as far as I know, they do not.  There are other theories I’ve heard.  The consumption of meat and dairy together, cancel out the nutritive qualities of both.  Shellfish have little nutritive value at all.  It goes on and on.  All of these rationales, to be sure, carry some truth in them.  But they all, ultimately miss the point.
          ‘The Point’ can be drawn from the start of the list of can-eat’s and can-not-eat’s coming immediately after a passage concerning the sons of Aaron and how they were to perform the sin-offering.  So looking at the ‘big picture’ here, it seems that the essence of these laws lies in none of the above.  Rather, the way that the people as a whole choose, prepare and consume their food is affective for them in the way that what the priests do in the Ohel Mo’ed is for them.  It is a discipline that elevates the otherwise-mundane act of killing, cooking and eating into a way that the Jew can express his devotion fo Hashem.

          Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against searching out knowledge that points to the profound wisdom that G-d expressed through the Torah.  But at the end of the day, following or not following it – whether the laws of kashrut or whatever – is a decision that one makes out of a spirit of wanting to draw nearer to Hashem.  At the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about.  Shabbat shalom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment