Thursday, February 11, 2016

Build me a Sanctuary: A Reflection for Parashat Terumah, Saturday 13 February 2016

A Replica of the Mishkan According to the Torah
When I was young, my parents belonged to a medium-sized Conservative shule.  With an attached afternoon religious school, which I attended, and an in-house day school which I did not.  It wasn’t the largest nor the most opulent shule on Miami Beach, but it was nice enough.  I remember feeling a sense of holiness when I attended services, between the décor and the cantor and the choir.
          Not long after I graduated from high school, I had a girlfriend who was religious.  She liked to go on occasion to a youth congregation that met in one of the extra rooms in another shule.  At first, the idea of attending a service in a classroom seemed funny.  But despite the more austere surroundings, the service left me feeling just as uplifted as the one in the main sanctuary.
          When I was in the military, we often held services in makeshift sanctuaries.  There were the exceptions.  Such as my three years at the Air Force Academy where the dedicated Jewish chapel was beautiful and had museum-quality décor.  And my time in Ramstein, Germany, where my Muslim colleague and I actually built a dedicated chapel for our two communities.  Many of my own ideas went into the design of the building and the furnishings.  But the rest of those years, we were as likely to meet in a conference room or a social hall.
          After I retired from the Air Force, I led a small congregation using quarters that had been purchased from a Baptist church whose ageing and shrinking congregation decided to disband themselves.  It wasn’t bad; my biggest complaint was that the design of the bimah put me too far above and away from my congregation.  When I offered my drash, I would often step down off the bimah and speak without notes whilst standing amongst the people.
          Then there was Temple Shalom, here on the Gold Coast.  A nice enough small sanctuary.  But one Saturday morning, the intrusion alarm was tripped and we couldn’t get the technician to come out to reset it before the service.  Because the alarm was loud in the sanctuary but barely audible in the social hall, we made a snap decision to set up and do the service there.  Several people told me after the service, that it was the nicest, most spiritual service they remembered attending.
          Since we started Jewish Journeys we’ve held services in my living room.  A community center classroom.  And here in the Country Women’s Association hall.  All makeshift sanctuaries, with a minimum of what one expects to see in a shule.  I’ve never felt that we were missing anything by not having a dedicated space.  I’ve thought that it was the mindset and mutual regard of those joining together to be a congregation, not the physical surroundings, that make the sacred space.
          Given this experience, I struggle with this week’s Torah reading, Terumah.  As our parashah opens, Hashem tells Moses to have the people Israel bring gifts of various materials.  Precious metals.  Fine textiles.  Animal skins.  Timbers.  Precious and semi-precious stones.  The purpose of all these gifts?  Chapter 25, verse 8 explains:  Let them build me a sanctuary that I may dwell among them.
          The materials are necessary for the construction of the Mishkan, the place where Hashem and the people will meet.  The exacting instructions on how to build it are given.  It is not only to be opulent materially; it is also to a very specific design.  The Torah tells us that all of this is necessary if Hashem is to dwell among us.  We must have a place holy enough for the nexus between man and G-d.
          So every year I read these verses and am conflicted.  I know what the Torah says.  Yet my experience tells me that the specifications of the sanctuary – even the fact that it is a dedicated sanctuary – is extraneous.  Or even gets in the way.
          There are those hearing, or reading these words who disagree with me.  They tell me that it enhances their experience, uplifts them, if they are surrounded by the symbols and accoutrements that they expect in their shule.  And they tell me that they cannot be uplifted in a classroom, a meeting room, or someone’s living room.  If your own sensibilities run in that direction, I’m not here to call you a liar.  But in my very varied experience, as I’ve just recounted, it has been otherwise.
          If you do agree with me, then how are we to understand the Torah’s words?  They can be understood a number of ways, but I think the key is intentionality, or kavvanah in Hebrew.  The passage tells us that the Mishkan and G-d’s dwelling among us won’t just ‘happen.’  We must take specific steps to make it so.  The steps to be followed by the people Israel in the wilderness, include the gathering of specific materials and constructing the sanctuary to a specific design.  But for us, the equivalent might be to express that same degree of intentionality in the way that we ‘construct’ a place within ourselves for worshipping G-d.  To set aside the cares of everyday life for an hour.  To look at the Jews and others around us, and transcend any negative feelings about them we may harbour.  To suspend our skepticism, and our cynicism, even if just for an hour.  To forget the pride of intellect and find a place within ourselves where we focus on the eternal.  It doesn’t happen just because we step into some place, dedicated or temporary.  It happens because we find space within ourselves, when we push aside our egos for just a bit, when we focus on G-d.  With intentionality, kavvanah.
          No, I won’t call you a liar if you tell me you need the ‘right’ physical surroundings to achieve that.  But I can tell you of many times when I have been in beautiful sanctuaries and could not focus on G-d because people were sitting and gossiping.  Or hating others.  Making it all about themselves.  I have been in the most aesthetically pleasing surroundings where the human spirit hampered the worship.  And in the most utilitarian quarters where the worship flowed like water.

          The Mishkan didn’t just happen.  It required a lot of investment and a lot of work to make a fitting place for Hashem to dwell amongst His people.  It also doesn’t just happen for us.  It requires investment and work to make a fitting place.  But sometimes, that investment and work is of a different sort.  It’s something to think about.  Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment