Saturday, September 26, 2015

Jews in the Wilderness: a Reflection for Sukkot 2015

At the age of 20, I packed up and went off to US Navy Basic Training.  Whilst in ‘Boot Camp’ as military entrance training is almost universally called, I continued my Jewish practice as much as I could.  I celebrated Passover, and attended Jewish chapel services every week.  Everybody in the company knew me as a proudly self-affirming Jew.  This opened me to an experience I had not known previously.  I was the only Jew in my company.  And the other ‘boots’ were mostly Christians – of the sort that I had never before encountered.  I grew up in New York’s borough of Queens and then Miami Beach.  The Christians I encountered there were mostly Roman Catholic.  And they were as interested in having Jewish friends, as I was in having Christian friends.  That is to say, it was simply considered an important part of life.  But the Christians I met in Boot Camp were different.  Most of them didn’t even consider Roman Catholics to be Christians.  And most of them had never, knowingly, encountered a Jew in an intimate setting.  And believe me, Boot Camp is one intimate setting.
          I’m not implying that it was a hostile environment for Jews.  Nothing of the sort.  It was simply an unfamiliar environment.  For the first time in my life, I was asked time and again to explain Jews, Judaism, and Jewish thought.  I didn’t always have the answers.  But the experience taught me the importance of making it my business to learn the answers.
          At some point during Boot Camp, I wrote a letter to a Jewish outreach worker whom I’d met only a few months before, through my then-girlfriend.  I told him of my experiences, being the only one in the company to ‘show the colours’ for Judaism.  And about my frustrations in the task.  His response was to send me a book.  What could be a more Jewish response??!  It was a book on ‘defending’ the Jewish faith to Christians.  And inside the book’s front cover he penned an inscription:  Dear Don, you are truly a Jew in the Wilderness.
          That phrase, a Jew in the Wilderness, really stuck with me.  In a sense it is stepping into the wilderness when we immerse ourselves in a culture, in an environment, where Jews, and overt Jewish influence, are rare.  Some Jews, the outreach worker who was my correspondent included, avoid situations where there are few Jews.  They immerse themselves in an environment where Jews are conspicuous and Jewish influence pervasive.  This, to enhance their sense of being ‘at home’ rather than ‘in the Wilderness.’  I’m not criticising this tendency, mind you.  Who doesn’t want to feel that they’re in a comfortable environment, a native habitat?  But some of us, due to our various influences and life choices, do not spend our days in such a comfortable place.  For various reasons, we find ourselves more often in the Wilderness.
          Sukkot, the festival that we begin this evening with the advent of the harvest moon (in the northern hemisphere, that is!), is all about surviving and thriving in the Wilderness.  The temporary hut that we construct and enjoy, reminds us of the precariousness of life.  And the Four Species that we wave around, remind us of God’s Presence in all the ‘corners’ of our world.  The combined message is that, whilst life is more precarious as would sometimes seem given our prosperity and comforts, God is always present to shelter us under the loving protection of His Wings.  Even when we are forced out of our comfort zone by the circumstances of life.  Even when we must travel far into the wilderness to eke out our living.  Even when the Divine Voice whispering Lech Lecha, Go Forth!  gives us pause because it means travelling unknown territory.
          Historically, the journey in the Wilderness evoked by this festival, is the 40 years’ wandering in the desert.  That which was the ancient Israelites’ lot because of their inability to shed the mindset of slaves.  That God was there, constantly, to protect them, shows that this sojourn should not be seen as a punishment.  Rather it was a necessity.  If this people was going to become a free people in their own land, under God’s Sovereignty, then it could not be avoided.  A new generation, forged in the desert, had to succeed the Egypt-born generation.  God acts on necessity.  He doesn’t punish out of spite.
          So even as God was with the Israelites during their sojourn in the Wilderness, so too is He with us in ours.  We celebrate this fact as we begin to dwell in the sukkah, and as we wave the Lulav and Etrog in six directions.
          This is especially important to remember as we leave the recent Ten Days of Repentence behind.  The twin occasions of the New Year and the Day of Atonement are intended to re-focus our energies towards what’s most important in life.  Now, as we contemplate the meandering and difficult road ahead, we spend a week reminding ourselves through the sensory and tactile experiences of this festival, that we are not alone in this journey.  
And I’ll add that a rare ‘blood red’ moon is slated to appear with the advent of Sukkot this year.  This is the final occurrence of a series of lunar eclipses that have all occurred on major Jewish festivals.  There are Jews and Christians who believe that this is a harbinger of the ‘Day of Hashem’ predicted in Joel 2:31.  Perhaps.  I’m personally not one of those looking to predict the Messianic Era, On the other hand, many credible voices do engage in this speculation.

Yes, we are Jews in the Wilderness.  But we are not completely left alone to be buffeted by the ceaseless and spirit-killing winds of the desert.  Instead, we shelter in a sukkah which, despite its flimsiness, still provides important shelter.  And we hold and wave the Four Species, invoking the presence of G-d in every corner of our world.  If that isn’t comforting, I don’t know what it!  Chag Sameach!

No comments:

Post a Comment