Thursday, March 26, 2015

Eishet Chayil, Mi Yimtza? A Drash for Friday, 20 March 2015

Clara with our daughter, Ma'ayan in Surfers
Paradise
When I was 20 years old and enlisted in the US Navy, I went through the initiation rituals that are practiced, with some variations, by most military forces known to humanity.  I didn’t expect basic training, or ‘Boot Camp’ as it is called, to be especially difficult but I did expect some challenges.  I’d never been a PT ‘animal,’ so I expected to have to work hard at the running and calisthenics.  But those proved no problem for me.  We ran and did calisthenics every day, and that gradually whipped most of us into shape.  It turned out that the biggest challenge was…clothes-folding.
          Yes, clothes-folding!  Every article of clothing to be folded just so, everyone’s locker arranged according to a strict instructions.  During locker inspections, any discrepancies would result in a dump the contents of the locker in a heap amid shouts of: “You’re going to kill somebody!”  And then the offenders would have to do push-ups.  Lots of push-ups!
          Of course, the clothes-folding was just a way to teach attention-to-detail.  This is a skill that a 20-year-old male is not likely to have in great measure.  In the navy, no matter what one’s occupational specialty, attention-to-detail is critical.  In the high-stress environment of a warship, something not secured correctly, something not stowed correctly, something not attached correctly can cause an accident costing lives.
          But that doesn’t mean that some of us didn’t try to make the clothes-folding ritual easier.  We would fold each item as carefully and as we could, ensuring the most possible uniformity of the widths of the garments.  Then we would use the same two of each type – one on our bodies and one in the laundry, which was done daily.  So during the entire eight weeks we would wear only two tee-shirts, two pairs of undershorts, two pairs of socks and so forth.  Every night we would not have to re-fold the garments returning from the laundry as we would be wearing them the next day.  That left time for other chores, and less sweating over the minutiae of clothes-folding.
          There was a danger in this, of course.  If the folded skivvies looked unused, the inspectors would gig us for not circulating our supply.  And then the dreaded locker dump.  And the push-ups!  For those not circulating their skivvies, a typical ‘punishment’ – after the push=ups – was to wear a clean pair of skivvies on one’s head, walk around the room, and announce to each shipmate: “I’m going to kill someone!”
But we learned over time that they simply didn’t have time to inspect that closely. They would only notice unused skivvies if something else set them off.  So we continued taking our clean skivvies out of the laundry basket and putting them on.
          Of course, after Boot Camp, where it no longer matters that every pair of skivvies is folded the same width to the millimeter, I learned to circulate all my skivvies.  Or so I thought.  But I bought a few new packets of skivvies in December.  And just last week I noticed that every morning, I seem to be wearing the same worn-out, yet not quite ready to discard pairs every day.  That’s strange, I thought.  Every day, I pull my clean skivvies from the bottom of the pile in the drawer.  So, in the course of a week, I should be wearing some older pairs and some newer pairs.  But it seems that the same two or three are ending up covering my bottom.  And I’m sure that the new skivvies are in the mix.  When I brought them new ones home I made sure to open the packages and toss the new ones in the laundry.
          And then, finally, I realized what the problem probably was.  I asked Clara:  “When you put the clean underwear in the drawer, do you put it on top or on the bottom?
          “On the bottom, of course,” Clara answered. “That way you’ll wear all of them.”
          And then I started laughing like a madman. “I take from the bottom,” I told her. “To ensure I’ll use all of them!”
          Military men need attention-to-detail.  And of course, Clara herself has military training and experience.  As well as years working as a nurse, who have an equal need for attention-to-detail.
          So I’ve begun taking my clean skivvies from the top.  And the other day, Clara thought to ask me: “You are taking from the top now, aren’t you?”  It’s just one more illustration of how Clara makes my life easier and more pleasant.
Not taking stock of these ways that our partners enrich our lives is, I think, one of the main reasons that couples end up in family court.  Divorce rates are not an indictment of marriage, or of the quality of our relationships.  They attest to our learning not a appreciate one another.  And why do we appreciate one another less and less?  I think it is because we expect our lives to be fun and easy.  So when they aren’t – at least most of the time – then we begin looking for reasons.  And we usually find such reasons in our partners.  They’re not fun enough.  They don’t keep the house well enough.  They don’t cook well enough.  They don’t want sex enough.  Take your pick.
          From skivvies to sex, what a transition! But then, everything ultimately comes down to sex, doesn’t it??!  Just kidding!  Well, sort of…  The real transition is from skivvies to the sublime joy of a marriage partner who takes care of little details, week after week, without complaint.  And how we are sometimes so intent on doing things ourselves that we tend not to notice.
          There’s a Friday evening ritual that we practice at home, which we omit here at shule when we transition from the evening service to the blessings before dinner.  Every week, I ask all the ‘girls’ to bless the ‘boys’ with a special blessing, and then we switch roles and the ‘boys’ bless the ‘girls.’  But there’s a special blessing for husbands to bestow upon their wives, and that is for him to recite the 31st chapter of Proverbs to her.  It doesn’t appear in the prayer book that we use.  In the politically-charged movement of Reform Judaism, it is considered anti-egalitarian.  It implies separation of gender roles.  It excludes, I suppose, same-sex couples.  And those who are widowed, or divorced.  So it didn’t make the cut in the siddur.  But I always derived joy from reciting it to Clara on Friday nights, because it speaks the truth:  that wives support their husbands in so many ways that are frequently unnoticed.  So at least once a week, we remind ourselves.  The chapter should be familiar to you; it begins Eishet Chayil mi yimtza?  A woman of valor, who can find?  

          Today is Clara’s birthday, my Eishet Chayil’s, according to the Hebrew calendar.  She was born on Shabbat Hagadol – the Shabbat immediately before Passover.  On the civil date of her birthday, she will be in the air, flying back from Colorado.  Actually, she’s going to miss her civil birthday this year.  That’s the day she’ll lose, crossing the International Date Line from east to west.  Sooo…happy birthday Clara; may you enjoy many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment