Thursday, February 13, 2014

Love is Love...a Drash for Shabbat evening and Valentine's Day, 14 February 2014

Love.  Can you feel it?  I mean, can you feeeeel the looooove?
          Why am I saying the word ‘love’ in a mocking way?  Well, because I can.  And because it is a problematic word.  Why problematic?  Because it carries so many possible meanings.  When we utter the word ‘love’ we mean it to convey one of those meanings. But we can never be sure that the one hearing the word attaches the same meaning to it in that instance.
          So then, what is love?
In the past I’ve used a cute song ‘As the Years Go By’ as an illustration for this dilemma.  The song was written and released by a Canadian band called ‘Mashmakhan.’ It was an almost accidental addition to their first, eponymous album.  The name of the band alludes to a variety of hashish.  And that should tell you why memory of this band and its work has largely gone, pun intended, up in smoke.  But the song was memorable because its lyrics rang so true:
(first verse) A child asks his mother, ‘Do you love me?
And it really means, ‘Will you protect me?’
His mother answers him, ‘I love you.’
But it really means, ‘You’ve been a good boy.’
(second verse) At seventeen a girl asks, ‘Do you love me?’
But it really means, ‘Will you respect me?’
The teenaged boy answers, ‘I love you.’
But it really means, ‘Can I make love to you?’
(third verse) At sixty-five his wife asks, ‘Do you love me?’
But it means, ‘I’d like to hear it again.’
Her husband answers her, “I love you.’
But it really means ‘I’ll love you to the end.’
(final verse) Now you’re asking me if I love you.
But it really means, will I marry you?
And I answer, ‘Yes, I love you.’
And it really means that I’ll be true to you.’
(chorus) And as the years go by/True love will never die.
It’s a wonderful example of why I, as one who is generally sceptical about the value of pop culture, am nonetheless open to occasionally finding gems of profound truth in its messages.  This song purports to answer the question:  what is love.  And the song’s answer is:  it depends.
It would seem that, in English, the word ‘love’ carries so many possible connotations that its meaning depends entirely on the cotnext.  So too for Hebrew.  Some of you know that the Hebrew word for ‘love’ is ‘Ahava.’  One word only.  For ‘love of God.’  For ‘love of one’s fellow Jew.’  For ‘love of the non-Jew.’  So it’s the same situation:  the word not carrying an exact meaning which must be drawn from the context.  What is love?  It depends.
Or does it?  Maybe at any given time the exact sentiment of the speaker can be different.  But perhaps, in the end, love is love.  Think about it.
Today is Valentine’s Day.  Our Israeli cousins call it, Yom Ha’ahava – ‘the day of love.’  Now obviously, the sentiment alluded to by the theme of the day is romantic love.  The love that makes your little heart go pitter patter, pitter patter, boom!  Right?  Emotional love.  But is that really something unique and special?  Or, is love really just love.  And the emotions that we attach to the concept of love something separate and situational?
That’s my thesis.  What I’m trying to say to you tonight in my convoluted, rabbinic way, is that ‘love,’ itself, has nothing to do with emotions.  It is a rational impulse.  We make a decision to love.  Or not to love.  And having made that decision, we decide what to do about it.  That is where the emotional content comes in.  That is where our impetus to act on that love may vary.  What is Love?  Love is love.  But what it leads us to do, is situational.  And what we do do, is driven by our emotions.  Sometimes, unfortunately so.
Love is love.  I love my wife, Clara.  Out of the love I decided to have with my wife, I committed to spend my life with her.  To raise children with her.  To care for one another until my dying day…or hers.
I love my children.  My love for them is also, in effect, a decision.  After all, Clara and I decided to make our children.  But even if the children had been ‘unplanned,’ we still decided to commit the act that, in the end, resulted in their coming to the world.  So out of the love that I decided to confer upon my children, comes a commitment.  But a different one.  A commitment to protect and nurture and teach them and ultimately, inspire them to become good people and productive citizens.
I also love you, the members of my congregation.  That love does not lead to the same commitment I have made to Clara, nor that I have made to my children.  My love for you is the basis of a different commitment.  The commitment to lead and teach.  And interpret the Jewish wisdom of the ages.  And hopefully, to inspire you to lead better lives.  A different sort of commitment.  But the same love.  What is love?  Love is love.
I’m speaking in First Person, because obviously I can only speak for myself…and not for anybody else in this room.  But you might ask yourselves:  whom do you love?  And what sort of commitment, and treatment, should result from that love?  Think about it.  Do you love one another?  I mean, the other human beings in this very room.  The other members of this congregation, as well as our guests.  Do you love them?  You should.  Guess what:  you’re commanded to do so, in the Torah.
Va-ahav-ta la-re-acha kemocha.  You shall love your (fellow Jew) as yourself. (Levicitus 19:18)  Ke-ezrach mikem yih-yeh lachem hager hagar itchem, ve-ahav-ta lo kamocha.  The (non-Jew) who lives among you shall be as one of you, and you shall love him as yourself. (Leviticus 19:34)  If we’re to be obedient to this call, what sort of commitment to one another, does it call for?  Close your eyes, and try to visualise the sort of treatment that would follow.  What it would look like.  If you have decided to love one another, then what should that translate to, in terms of the way that you treat one another?  Ask yourselves:  does the commitment, the way that you treat one another, even resemble the picture you see when you try to visualise it?
Think about it in terms of how we treat one another tonight.  How we invite, or fail to invite, someone who is alone tonight to sit with us at dinner after the service.  I’m going to be upfront with you.  The last time we had an Oneg Shabbat, some of you rushed into the Jacobs Hall and immediately tilted groups of seats to save them for the members of your own party.  Now I get this practice.  You want to sit with your family or friends.  But think about it:  does this help the person who happens to have come alone tonight, or with one other person, feel welcome?  Ask yourselves.  And if you decide that it does not?  Well then, maybe saving seats is not the way to act at a communal Oneg Shabbat.  Maybe the way to act, is to look for someone whom you know is alone or not with a group…and invite them to sit with you.
This is just one example, but it struck me at the time as, perhaps, not being compatible with the notion that we are a warm, welcoming, and yes, loving congregation.  What do you think?  If we see ourselves as a loving group, if we think that we love one another or at least like to think so, then what sort of behaviour vis-à-vis one another should that translate into.  When we gather for Oneg Shabbat.  And at other times.  All other times.
So love is a rational choice, and depending on the relationship, that choice should lead to a certain mindset and a certain set of behaviours towards the one who is the object of that love.  Behaviours that, themselves, aught to be rational decisions.  But many of us cannot break from the notion that love is an emotion.  And because we internalise it that way, our love – the way we treat one another – is hostage to the way we may feel about the other at any given time.  And that, my friends, is what results in sometimes un-loving behaviour towards one another.  Whether that other is our spouse.  Or our child.  Or our neighbour in the contemporary sense, meaning the one who lives in close proximity to us.  Or our neighbour in the Biblical sense, meaning our fellow Jew.  Meaning a fellow member of Temple Shalom.
It’s Valentine’s Day.  Yom Ha-ahava.  The ‘day of love.’  We are conditioned to use this as an occasion to express our love towards one particular person, the person with whom we’re in a unique relationship.  But since love is love, after all…let’s use it as an occasion to take stock of all those we hold that we love.  And take stock of the way we express our love for them.  And if we’re honest, we’ll realise we fall short in at least some of those relationships.  Each one of us.  Because we’re all, after all, human. 

But the good news is that tomorrow is a new day.  And each tomorrow gives us an opportunity to work on the way that we treat one another.  And decide to make it better.  And then, make it better.  Love is love.  And let us act towards one another, in love.  Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment