Thursday, January 30, 2014

What We Bring to the Table; a Drash for Parashat Terumah Friday, 31 January 2014

Last night a group of 19 of us from Temple Shalom went out together.  First we had dinner in a Chinese restaurant then we attended a klezmer concert.  It was a great evening!
          Because of the size of the group, I asked everybody to decide well in advance what they wanted to eat.  Then I sent the order to the restaurant for them to organise the cooking beforehand.  The wait-staff brought the food out a couple of dishes at a time.  They would tell me what the dishes were, and I would direct them to the person at the table who had ordered each specific dish.
As is usual when a group eats Chinese, our members ordered a wide variety of dishes.  But the restaurant did a reasonably good job of filling our order, and with only a couple of delays everybody was soon munching away on the tasty food.  A little exhausted from my role as ‘traffic cop,’ I looked at everybody eating something different, but all enjoying Chinese food, before I sat down to eat my own dinner.
Everybody eating something different, but all enjoying Chinese food.  It reminded me a bit of this week’s Torah portion, and what it has to teach us.
Parashat Terumah opens with a command to Moses:  Speak to the Israelites and have them bring me an offering.  Take my offering from everyone whose heart impels him to give.  And the offering that Moses was to take from the people Israel consisted of the following:  gold, silver, copper, acacia wood, wool of various colours, goat skins, ram skins, dolphin skins, oil, spices, incense, and various precious and semi-precious stones.
Now please don’t listen to me tonight and think that I’m asking you to donate dolphin skins to Temple Shalom!  Or even goat skins!  Gold and silver would probably be welcome…but really, my message tonight is not about the substantive gifts we give to the temple.  Rather, my message is about how we add to the totality that is Temple Shalom by the personal talents and gifts that we bring to the table.
My colleague and classmate Martha Bergadine, from Hong Kong, presented this principle so well in her drash this week.  Using a delightful account of an annual kosher corned beef sandwich funder-raiser in her former community in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, she illustrated how we create community today.  As Rabbi Bergadine said so well:  We do not seek to build a Mikdash from acacia wood and ram skins.  Rather, our materials are the talents and skills, of our community members.  
What I bring to the table is quite obvious; much of what I do is highly visible.  But there are gifts which others in the community possess in far greater measure than I do.  But because they’re less obvious, you in the community often don’t give yourselves, or others, recognition for the gifts that you bring to the table.  So allow me to offer a couple of examples.
The gift of extroversion – that quality that distinguishes one as being an extrovert or an outgoing personality – is a special gift.  I do not have it.  When I took the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator years ago, it showed that I’m an introvert.  More precisely, I am an ‘ISTJ.’  I envy those who are extroverts, who have the self-confidence to walk up to strangers and just begin talking to them naturally and comfortably.  To be sure, I’m not the only introvert at Temple Shalom.  A number of our lay leaders share this characteristic with me.  Now let me be clear; ‘introvert’ is not a character flaw!  Those of us who are introverts, simply lack the specific gift of extroversion. 
But we do have extroverts among our membership, and the gift they bring to the table – the ability to unabashedly approach others and draw them in – is priceless.  Tonight you will see the extroverts amongst us, working the room and making people feel welcome and part of the our Temple Shalom ‘family.’  Envy them is you must.  But also, thank God for their presence in our midst, and that they bring that gift to bear for our collective benefit.
Another gift that some bring to the table is hospitality – a gift somewhat related to that of extroversion, but not quite the same thing.  My colleague Rabbi Ruth Adar from the East Bay in California, who calls herself ‘the Coffee Shop Rabbi,’ refers to this as ‘radical hospitality.’  And it is radical:  the notion that we can offer hospitality to others, with absolutely no expectation that it will be returned in kind.  The radically hospitable person offers his or her gift only in the hopes that the recipient will be somehow uplifted by the experience.
We have one or two members in this community, and you know who they are, who have this gift of hospitality.  They’re the ones who automatically reach out to others in the community, inviting them home to a Shabbat dinner on weeks when we have no Oneg Shabbat.  Would that more of us, your sometimes-grumpy rabbi included, had it.  But thank God for those of us who do have it.

There are obviously other gifts and talents that others bring to the table, and they’re all important and cherished.  My message to you tonight is that you should never feel that your unique gifts are unwelcome.  And that you should never denigrate the gifts that others bring to the table.  As we freely give of the specific gifts that we have to offer, we take a shule and make it into a community.  Let’s continue to do that, until it becomes automatic.  Shabbat shalom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment