Thursday, September 26, 2013

Drash For Saturday Morning, Shabbat Bereishit

When God Began to Create…Me!

“When God began to create heaven and earth, the earth being unformed and void…”
So opens the 1985 JPS Tanakh, turning away from the traditional rendering of the Hebrew:  “In the beginning God created heaven and earth…”
The new rendering accounts for an unfolding understanding of the Hebrew grammar, where the first two words (Bereishit bara) are now understood to be nouns in construct state.  So if bara, creation, is a noun and not a verb, then it reads literally (in translation):  “In the beginning of the creation by God of heaven and earth…”  Then the JPS version is a poetic, yet accurate rendering of the Hebrew.
A theologian would say that the new rendering teaches two things whose opposite were implied by the old rendering.  First, the beginning of the creation of heaven and earth was not the beginning.  It was not the start of the story of the universe, only the start of the chapter of the physical universe.  That means that a different universe, that of incorporeality, of spirit, pre-existed the physical.  Or may have.  Second, it does not teach that the earth was formed out of nothingness – creatio ex nihilo.  The earth was formed from pre-existing matter.  No waving of any magic wands, as it were.
So what’s the difference?  The difference is that we know from outside the Torah that the earth’s formation wasn’t the beginning of the story.  And similarly we know that the earth had to have been formed from pre-existing matter.  So, the opening verse of Genesis does not set us up for a stark choice:  Torah or science.  In fact, there’s absolutely no choice necessary.  The either-or dilemma that some fundamentalist readers of the Torah on one side and some scientific absolutists on the other side insist exists, in reality, is…a fabrication.  It’s only necessary if you’re a fundamentalist of either Torah or science.  But if you’re the type who tries to mine every source of truth for the truth that’s in it, and not set it up as the be-all-end-all, then you know that there’s ample wisdom to be found in both places.
          So…you can breathe easy!  Your religion – Progressive Judaism – doesn’t require you to choose between its wisdom and that of the scientist.  You’re thus freed from being an absolute materialist.  And you’re freed from the stigma that religionists are those who cling to fairy-tales.  Isn’t it liberating!  So now you can focus on the important questions of life!
          And the important question of life on my mind today is about the creation of…Me!  Oh, I don’t mean the physical creation of Me.  All that stuff about my father’s sperm fertilising my mother’s ovum, creating a zygote which grew and developed into a foetus, et cetera, et cetera.  Oh, all that stuff matters and is interesting on a certain level.  But that’s not the Me I’m talking about today.  I’m talking about the Me that I encounter when I close my eyes and contemplate my life.  When I consider the life experiences that have made me who I am.  When I dream the dreams that are the motivation for me to get out of bed each morning, do the work to which I’ve committed, love my wife, fret over my kids.  God created Me – that Me – just as He created heaven and earth.  From pre-existing matter.  When I made a commitment to religious living, when I made the decision that the progressive Jewish life would be my life’s path, then I opened the door for God and me to begin the really important act of creation.  To take all the baggage I was then carrying, all the experiences, the triumphs and the disappointments, and give me a context for understanding the importance of my life.  And with that context, to begin the process of creating a life that matters.  Of course, my life mattered before I made that commitment.  But now it mattered in a different way, because I had joined myself to the ever-unfolding narrative of the Jewish people in their quest to be a Holy People.
          I have many Christian friends of the Born-again sort.  They understand that their uniquely Christian selves did not have their genesis when they were born.  Rather, at some point after the age of cognition, they made a decision, made a commitment to an idea.  Each one was born on their birthday, but then each experienced a second birth when they saw a clear picture of the Me they were supposed to become. 
Now if I went around to the members of my congregation telling them that they would do well to experience being “born again” in that way, they would think I’d gone off my rocker.  They would start plotting my exit from the congregation’s pulpit!  That’s because the language of born again has been effectively hijacked by another religious faith, one with which Progressive Jews are unlikely to feel any strong affinity.  But when you really think about it, that – being born again – is not really an inaccurate description of the process that many of us have gone through.  Of the process that is a worthy religious goal.  Yes, even in our religion:  Progressive Judaism.
          It’s really not that different from the rebirth that ideally happens when we commit to a career path.  The quest to become the best and most successful whatever we’ve committed to – doctor, barrister, musician, teacher – will ideally consume us and motivate us and guide our priorities and actions.  If we don’t experience that rebirth – if we don’t make a commitment that consumes us in that way – we may very well achieve what we set out to do, but chances are we won’t become what we set out to be.
          Likewise, when we marry and commit the rest of our lives to our partner.  Ideally, we begin moving toward a new definition of ourselves.  To be sure, one can be half of a couple without going this process.  One can be a worthy partner.  But to really be married, to grow into a person for whom that marriage is an inextricable part, we must experience the rebirth that comes when we commit from the depths of our soul.
          This kind of rebirth, this kind of commitment, is not an everyday thing.  Not in pursuit of career, and not in marriage.  And not in religion.  Most Jews don’t think of their religious ‘walk’ in such terms.  I was born a Jew and raised a Jew, and being a Jew is just part of who I am.  Or, I made a rational decision to become a Jew (for whatever reason) and jumped through the hoops that were placed in front of me, and then a beit din told me that I’m now a Jew.  But we seldom think of our Jewishness as the result of a a rebirth, or a life-changing decision.
But that sense of rebirth is a worthy goal, in all three:  career, marriage, and religion.  In order to really be a doctor, to really be a partner, to really be a Jew, we must make a commitment that, at the end of the day, re-defines us and sets us on a new path.  That can be scary, because when you turn onto a new path you’re stepping off the familiar, oft-trod ground.  You’re stepping off into directions heretofore unknown.
          When God began creating heaven and earth, He stepped off onto such a path.  There’s a delightful Midrash where God is being scolded by the angels for creating man.  Since man had turned out rebellious and violent and predatory, God had clearly made a big mistake.  So God thinks about it and agrees. “Okay, I made a mistake when a created man.  But I did create man.  So we’re stuck with him; let’s make the most of him.”  The Midrash, in effect, humanises God by acknowledging that even He could not always anticipate what He had unleashed.  But He created even so.

          We never know what will be the ultimate result when we step off into the unknown of a new career path.  Or of marriage.  Or of religious life.  All are part of the great adventure of life.  Of the process that results in the Me I see when I contemplate who I am.  Had I not had the courage to make such commitments, my life would have unfolded – would be unfolding – in a far different manner.  But the emerging Me is the Me that made these decisions, these commitments.  Who submitted to the process that began with a rebirth.  A rebirth that can only be seen as a positive and desirable thing.  Do you have the courage to experience it?   

No comments:

Post a Comment