Thursday, June 6, 2013

Drash for Parashat Korach



Chicken or Pasta?

I know I’ve told you this before, but it was after all almost two years ago.  When I fly transoceanic, I always look forward to hearing the cabin attendant ask me those three immortal words:  Chicken or pasta?  What do I want to eat for dinner?  Chicken or pasta?  It’s always the same choices.  Now I can report that Virgin Australia is no different in this respect from Qantas, or from United, or from Lufthansa, or El Al, or…whatever.  Chicken or Pasta?  It’s one of those choices we make in life that absolutely does not matter.  Why not?  Because whichever you choose, it is almost guaranteed to be more-or-less edible…and completely unmemorable.  When was the last time you had a memorable meal when flying?  I mean, unless you flew First Class or perhaps Business.  But in Economy, there’s never a meal to write home about.
It’s refreshing to be asked to make a choice that does not matter one whit, because so many of our choices in life are important…and the choices we make may have lasting repercussions.  Choices like what major to matriculate in university.  Whom to marry.  Where to live, as in what country or what city.  All these choices will have great effect on our ultimate happiness in life.  We therefore should make them only with great consideration and even trepidation.  But Chicken or Pasta?  Who cares?
As I related to you before, my son Eyal sweats every decision.  Faced with the choice between Chicken or Pasta, he’ll ponder until there’s a danger of the flight attendant moving on, with the result that Eyal won’t get any dinner at all.  Similarly, one night we were out with an equally-fussy friend of mine on a summer holiday in Moab, Utah.  Dinner was easy; it was a pizza buffet!  But we decided to go to a different local place for ice cream after dinner.  Eyal and my friend had to try half a dozen flavours on those little plastic spoons they use to give samples.  I think they both even asked for a second sample of one or two before making up their minds.  I had already finished half my ice cream and they were still discussing.  Come on, guys, I urged them.  It’s just ice cream!  Just pick a flavour and enjoy!  To which Eyal replied:  But Abba; it could be life-changing!  Now some choices are life changing, but what ice cream flavour to eat, is not one of them.  Neither is Chicken or Pasta.
The last time I related this story, I know it resonated with at least one person then present.  One of our members related to me that, a few days after hearing my drash, she’d had trouble making a minor decision.  And her daughter scolded her:  It’s just like the Rabbi said, Mum: Chicken or Pasta?  It doesn’t matter!
This week’s Torah portion is Korach.  I’ve been asked before:  how long does it take me to prepare the Torah reading each week?  And my answer is:  it depends.  Because we’re not reading a large quantity of Torah each week, it is generally quite manageable.  And that’s a very good thing.  Especially so on weeks like this one when I arrived in town only on Wednesday and very jet-lagged from flying across the USA and the Pacific Ocean.  But when I looked at this week’s Torah reading yesterday and began preparing to read it, I realised that I already knew the text.  That’s because Korach was Eyal’s bar mitzvah portion.  I struggled with him over several months to teach him the first Aliyah, which is our reading here this year.  I also prepared another young man, years earlier in England, to read the same text for his bar mitzvah.  I was therefore pleased to find that I could prepare this week’s Torah reading with a minimum of effort.  (So, looking forward to seeing you in shule tomorrow, to share it with you…)
The portion Korach is about choices.  Korach, of the tribe of Levi, leads a rebellion against the leadership of Moses and the priesthood of Aaron.  As I pointed out last year when talking about this portion, there was really no valid reason for the rebellion.  Korach and his gang didn’t find Moses’ leadership wanting in any way.  They just wanted to be the ones in charge.  They made a choice, an emotional one, to reject Moses’ leadership even though they could make no case for their own superior fitness to lead.  They simply wanted to be the Top Banana themselves.  In making their power-play, they caused their own demise and that of many innocent people.  Last year, I offered you a lesson to take away from this episode.  When we make bad choices, the consequences can be far-reaching.  Not only for us, but for those close to us.  Korach and his company made a very bad choice.  This was no Chicken or Pasta decision.  This was one that mattered.
          Our task, as we go through life, is to make good decisions.  But additionally, our peace-of-mind requires that we learn to discern between the decisions that matter a lot, those that matter little, and those that don’t matter at all.  Because we do want to consider most carefully when making the big, important decisions.  But we don’t want to be paralysed with fear when faced with decisions that don’t matter.  Like Chicken or Pasta.
          Korach was faced with the all-important choice of accepting Moses’ leadership, or making a senseless power-play to usurp it.  He chose poorly.  He and his consorts would have done well to sit down and really think about why they wanted to challenge Moses.  Just like so many others in organisational life, who make power plays for no reason other than self-aggrandisement.  Imagine if all the energy expended on the gossip, back-stabbing and other intrigue that goes along with such power-plays were instead directed towards positive and helpful ends.  Our world would be so much better.  Both our micro-world, and our macro-world.
          On the other hand, we should learn not to sweat inconsequential decisions.  Like what flavour ice cream.  Or, Chicken or Pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment