Wednesday, May 2, 2012

US Penitentiary In Florence, Colorado
Last time in prison...

...hopefully!  Many folks know that I have been serving as part-time Jewish chaplain to the US Federal Correctional Complex in Florence, Colorado for a couple of years:  first as an adjunct to my regular congregational work, and in the past year as my only employment while I've been 'on sabbatical.'  I've actually doing correctional chaplaincy work on and off as a volunteer since 1996, in federal institutions as well as state institutions in Florida and Colorado.

It's an unusual vocational path for a rabbi - as is the military chaplaincy - but one I've felt led to go down.  Despite stereotypes, there are Jews in prison, and not only for white-collar crimes; there are six inmates whom I regularly visit in the maximum security US Penitentiary, Administrative Maximum (also known informally as 'The Supermax' and 'The Alcatraz of the Rockies') at the Florence complex.

Visiting the prison is always an adventure and sometimes a bit unnerving:  for example, when that big steel door slides shut and you're inside, and when staff go running down the corridor in response to a general alarm.

So why do I work in the prison?  I do, because I really believe that religious faith is an important tool in taking these inmates and ultimately turning them into productive and law-abiding members of society.  I want Judaism to be an agent for change in the lives of Jews who have broken the law, gotten themselves incarcerated, and will eventually be released.  I don't want law-breakers to only be warehoused until they must be released back onto the streets.  And sometimes, in my one-on-one encounters with inmates, I actually do get to feeling that I am helping them.

But today was my last visit as I prepare to leave for Australia.  Will I find such opportunities Down Under?  I don't know, but I am happy I've had the opportunity up to now.

No comments:

Post a Comment