Thursday, April 23, 2015

Anzac Day 2015: A Drash and Prayer for Saturday, 25 April 2015

I grew up during the Vietnam era.  I therefore came of age harbouring a certain amount of contempt for those who had heard their country’s call and went marching off to war.  Enlistment was for chumps.  Even if drafted.  Aside from ample deferments available, there was a whole cottage industry of ways to avoid the draft.
I remember once, sitting in my parents’ living room when an uncle and a second cousin were visiting.  They sat there, comparing notes on what dodges their lawyers had used to keep my two cousins, one from each coast from being drafted.  It wasn’t that either one was a conscientious objector.  It wasn’t that either one disliked, or saw himself as disloyal to his country.  But it was an age where draft call ups were selective.  And where the war was patently unpopular and mis-understood.  So only a chump – or someone whose parents could not afford the craftiest lawyers – would go to the service.
Because the Vietnam War was so unpopular, my country flexed its military muscles only with great reluctance during a very dangerous time of Cold War that followed.  But more than that, we entered an age where we began to judge all past conflicts according to our deep skepticism.  War is not the answer, we repeated mindlessly.  But we didn’t know what the question was. 
Since you likely know that I wore a uniform for 28 years, you already know that, at some point, my attitude toward military service changed.  I cannot pinpoint the moment.  But I did serve as a volunteer.  And I did volunteer repeatedly.  Until I found myself a career military man.  A lifer, to use the prerogative term popular during the days of the draft.  If, at eighteen someone had told me that I would be a lifer in the military, I would have told them in all seriousness:  Kill me now.
It’s hard for me to speak personally about Gallipoli and the ANZAC spirit, I who understand so little of Australia.  But the youth of Australia and New Zealand gave their all on that fateful April morning when they landed on the shores of Gallipoli.  They faced an opposition they could not have imagined.  And they faced off against the powerful opponent, who held the advantageous high ground, for the next eight months.  Some say that Australia was born as a nation, on the beaches of Gallipoli.  In other words, through the sacrifice of her youth, she found her purpose as a nation. 
I haven’t been to Gallipoli, but I’ve been to Gettysburg.  It’s a quiet town in southern Pennsylvania.  It’s perhaps, in a way, he Americans’ Gallipoli.  It’s where the United States was, if not born, then burnished and forged into a nation that would rise from the ashes of a destructive civil war.  And which would be a force for good in the world over the next century and more.  But when I strolled Gettysburg’s battlefields, I didn’t think such lofty and profound thoughts.  I only heard the dead soldiers cry out:  We were young.  We gave our all.  Now it is up to you to give meaning to our sacrifice.  I felt I was standing on holy ground.  Because I was.  I had brought along a copy of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address.  Every syllable of the great President’s brief speech sang out to me that day. Fourscore and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation…
Australia is a nation at peace, but which is desperately searching for itself in this 21st century of the Common Era.  As Australians try to forge an enduring identity for their nation, they are well-advised to think of the ANZAC’s and the spirit that motivated them to fight and die on foreign soil.  We in this room were not able to travel to witness the 100th April 25th sunrise over Gallipoli since that fateful day in 1915.  I daresay that those who have made the trek will, in a few hours when the sun rises on that side of the world, begin to emotionally connect with the young Australian men who landed that day.  And with those who never made it to the beach, cut down in the boats or in the clear waters of the Aegean Sea.
Avinu shebashamayim, Tzur Yisrael vego’alo
Barech et Medinot Australia ve’New Zealand
Zachor at chayaleihen
Shelachmu bemilchemet ha’olam harishona
Veshe nas’u mibeiteihem
Ad sof ha’olam
Lehilachem be’ad cherut
Veletakein ha’olam
Ana tih’yena nafshoteihem
Tzrurot bitzrur hachayim
U’tehi menuchatam kavod
S’va s’machot et paneicha
Ne’imot bimincha netzach
Amein.
Our Father in heaven
Rock and Redeemer of Israel
Bless the countries of Australia and New Zealand
Remember their soldiers
Who fought in the Great War
Who travelled from their homes
To the ends of the world
To fight for freedom
To make the world better
Let their souls be bound up in the bond of life
May their rest be with honour
May Your Presence sate them with joy
May the beauty of their sacrifice shine forever

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment